Looking for some help getting my XJ to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some help getting my XJ to start

Hello good people! I'm looking for guidance trouble shooting an obvious electrical issue with my XJ. It last ran probably a year ago, last inspection was August 2020 about 200 miles ago. I have tried to start it a few times, it would crank but not fire, so I'd put a charger on the battery thinking it was weak and try again with no luck. Well a bike that won't start/run isn't much use to me or anyone else so here I am. I just went out and disconnected the negative battery cable, tested the voltage and got 13.45 at the battery. I put the petcocks on Prime and verified that I had gas getting to the bowls. Crossing my fingers I turn the key and I have nothing, not a single light on the instrument cluster lights up. I checked the main 30 amp fuse with my multimeter and I have tone, also checked all the upgraded fuses in the fuse box and have tone on all of them as well. Can anybody with a good understanding of the electrical system on these bikes help point me in the right direction to sort this out? Thanks much!
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Howdy Billy,,,,,try the Kill switch on the right handlebar, try pushing both way and checking for engine cranking when start button is pushed,jiggled, , also put it in nuetral, pull in clutch lever, also try to check current on both sides of each fuse, they can sometimes be hard to see if blown. Also, check the main fuse which could be around the airbox in an inline fuse....gotta be something simple....keep us informed,,,Mike in San Diego

Comment

Hi Billy- great to hear from you.

I would check the plugs for spark.

It's easier if you only pull one plug at a time (and rest the threads on ground) because 1-4 are in series and 2-3 are in series.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I'm with Socer4m start with checking out the parts of your wiring circuit that on BOTH sides. If it's not a problem with a fuse or wiring the next best place to look would be the key switch.
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I got tired of having to guess which aspect of the electrics was causing problems, so I jumpered the kill switch, sidestand switch, and the clutch switch (all the safety lockout mechanisms) to take them out of the equation. I figured if I have to depend on these, I shouldn't be riding. Also just do a physical inspection of the harness and connectors looking for spots where wires overheated, corroded through, etc....
          "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Here's an update. Went out yesterday and checked the battery voltage, it's low only about 10.5v so I'm not sure why I had over 13v a couple days earlier. Also had the same 10.5v leaving the main 30 amp fuse. So, using my wiring diagram, I traced the red wire from the main fuse to the key switch wires that have a connector in the headlight bucket. With the key turned on I was getting the same voltage leaving the connector as I had at the battery. Having had the key turned on for a minute or two caused the battery voltage to drop all the way down to about 5.3v, which is what I had leaving the switch. And partway through checking the 4 wires in the key switch connector I realized that all the dash lights had come back on even though each time prior that I turned the key on I had no dash lights. So at this point I decided my battery is bad and ordered a new AGM for it. At least it seems that I'm not losing any voltage leaving the key switch. I'll put the new battery in it when it gets here and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help so far.
            Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Yeah a bad battery will not work, even if jumped! I KNOW that from trying to get a bike going for someone, with help from other members of this forum.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Put the new battery in it this afternoon and it fired right up...who knew? Always, always, always make sure you have a good battery...what a dope!
                Billy

Comment

Billy,
                  You might want to check out a battery charger with the maintenance mode that desulphates at the same time. Won't make the battery last forever but it does extend the life a bit. If you have a Norhtern Tool in your area you can pick up the Battery Minder brand for a lot less than some of the name brand products out there. I see in you signature you don't list your midnight special. Do you still have it?
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

I do have a Battery Minder model 1510 that desulphates, I just haven't done a very good job rotating it to all the batteries I have. And I do still have the 1980LG, haven't ridden it since I brought it back from Idaho in 2014 I'm sad to say. Still have a bit more work to do on it along with the Venturer I obtained. What I really need to do is sell them because I just don't have the time to devote to them like I used to.
                    Billy

Comment

At least the XJ is ready for VYR, right?
                      -Mike
                      _________
                      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
                      X