Ignition timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition timing

Hi all.I have a 1980 XS1100G and although it runs well I have a question concerning the positioning of the movable assembly of the ignition coils.I will put up two photos to show where I have it and you can see that it is hard up against the slot ends.If I move it while the engine is running it slows down.I did check with a timing light and the f mark did line up but I wonder if the unit should be around the middle of the slot as I have seen on all bikes.Just a question .Hope someone can throw some light on this please.The question is ,does that look normal?.Excuse the condition of the nut.The bike came like that and I am yet to source another one. Thanks Gerard Martin.
    Attached Files

You stated you have a timing light which is good. The F mark is probably right and the only other thing you should be checking is if the centrifugal advance is working correctly. the manual states to rev the engine to 5200 rpm and check that the advance is sitting at 36 degrees before top dead center or the T mark. If you do not have a manual you can download one from Ringlers web site. Ringler.us | My Bike
    Last edited by cajun31; 07-10-2022, 01:50 AM.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

In the pictures, the static timing is fully advanced, may want to back it off a little turning the plate clockwise. Check with a timing light, a few degrees higher than the "F" mark is OK, l run about 5 deg. advanced from manual spec.

Clockwise=Retard

Anti-clockwise=Advance
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks guys.I'll turn it back and recheck with timing light.

Comment

Working...
        X