Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve shim adjustment, is this an option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve shim adjustment, is this an option?

I'm about to check my valve shims and was wondering if anyone else tried this trick on an x*1100 engine.

When I had a Suzuki GS series bike one of the "tricks" I learned for doing a shim swap was to pull the spark plug for the cylinder you where working on and use a heavy zip tie to hold open the valves one at a time. If you take a zip tie and "double it over" with a pair of pliers and make a 90 degree bend you can insert it into the spark plug hole and wedge it under the open valve then turn the motor a bit more and it'll hold the valve tension to make removing the shim a snap.

There's a few YouTube videos out there for doing this on a GS but have yet to hear of anyone trying in on an XS/XJ. Anyone out there tried this?
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

You'll likely get a variety of opinions here regarding the zip tie method. Some for and some against. For what it's worth, I have used the zip tie method that you described, successfully many many times on various xs1100's without any problems. It sure is a quick and easy and in my opinion a safe way of swapping out the shims as needed to bring everything back into spec.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
      You'll likely get a variety of opinions here regarding the zip tie method. Some for and some against. For what it's worth, I have used the zip tie method that you described, successfully many many times on various xs1100's without any problems. It sure is a quick and easy and in my opinion a safe way of swapping out the shims as needed to bring everything back into spec.
      Thanks for verifying! Didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work but a wise man knows which questions are worth asking.
      1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. The valve will be held closed by the spring. The shim bucket is held down by the proper tool and you lift the shim out of the bucket. Please expand more on this Zip tie method or maybe link a youtube video. I am open to learning something new.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
          I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. The valve will be held closed by the spring. The shim bucket is held down by the proper tool and you lift the shim out of the bucket. Please expand more on this Zip tie method or maybe link a youtube video. I am open to learning something new.
          Although I have never tried the zip tie method either it seems like a reasonably easy way to do the shim swap. I have an original Yamaha valve adjustment tool that I purchased soon after purchasing my 1980 LG when I worked at the Yamaha shop. I found this video on youtube showing how to use the zip tie. 1980 KZ1000ST zip tie valve clearance tool - YouTube
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Learned something new today. That is pretty cool. Have to be sure to try it.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
            X