Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Oil after Shortening

Question on Fork Oil.

I'm planning on lowering my stock fork by 2". I plan on doing this by fabricating a 2" metal spacer for the damper rod and cutting the spring by 2". I'm choosing to do this to get a more aggressive stance and quicker handling. I'm also going for a more cafe style bike, sorry to the purists out there.
    My question is how much oil should I put back into the fork tubes after lowering? I've read other threads saying to start off by putting the same amount but that was for other bikes on other forums, not specifically the XS11.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    TIA
    Learning as I go.
    ( I may have some dumb questions, so bare with me )

Current Bike:
    '79 XS1100 Standard

Originally posted by CMPNW View Post
    Question on Fork Oil.

I'm planning on lowering my stock fork by 2". I plan on doing this by fabricating a 2" metal spacer for the damper rod and cutting the spring by 2". I'm choosing to do this to get a more aggressive stance and quicker handling. I'm also going for a more cafe style bike, sorry to the purists out there.
    My question is how much oil should I put back into the fork tubes after lowering? I've read other threads saying to start off by putting the same amount but that was for other bikes on other forums, not specifically the XS11.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    TIA
    You are basically going to have to adjust the amount by the feel of the forks. Start with what the manual states as the amount needed and then adjust from there based on how stiff or soft they are.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

You are basically going to have to adjust the amount by the feel of the forks. Start with what the manual states as the amount needed and then adjust from there based on how stiff or soft they are.
      Alright, that's what I was thinking just wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks for the help!
      Learning as I go.

Current Bike:
      '79 XS1100 Standard

Comment

I'd go with what the manual recommends. The working part of the system is the lower leg where the actual shock absorber is located. I've found it be more important to have the same level in each one rather than the same amount of oil. Before you put the spring back into the fork measure how far down the top of the oil level is and compare/adjust as needed.
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          I'd go with what the manual recommends. The working part of the system is the lower leg where the actual shock absorber is located. I've found it be more important to have the same level in each one rather than the same amount of oil. Before you put the spring back into the fork measure how far down the top of the oil level is and compare/adjust as needed.
          Thanks LAB3!
          That completely makes sense, I'll make sure to do that. This will be a fun project.
          Learning as I go.

Current Bike:
          '79 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Remove the spring and collapse the fork leg. Fill until the level is 130 mm from the top of the tube. The level controls the stiffness in the last 30% of fork travel. If it's too stiff, set it lower. You can go as far as 150 mm. Not stiff enough? Add until you're 120 mm from the top. Add more and you risk blowing a seal. This is how mine are set up, one with Race-Tech emulators and the other is stock.

Be prepared to have to replace the springs. You might not like them after you cut them.
            Last edited by jetmechmarty; 06-21-2022, 07:31 PM.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

After the modification, another way would be to fill the level to say 1" over the top of the damping rod with the fork stanchion fully extended and the spring removed. Pump a few times to purge the air before checking the final level. It shouldn't be too low a level but you could add some as needed.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
              X