Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging woes

Howdy all.

Can't seem to figure out why my system won't charge. New reg/rect from Oregon...

I just noticed I'm missing a ground wire (I assume - see photo) - is that imperative? If so, do I just run a line to another ground wire?

Thanks for any and all!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220612_131359.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	869092
    Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
    '96 Triumph Trophy

Looking at your pic I would look closely to see if that is just residue or burnt wires. Maybe clean it out with some electric cleaner or Deoxit. Also looking at the pic, looks like just 2 wires the reddish and green wire. The harness looks taped up so maybe look to see if there is a broken black wire-maybe that black wire on top or maybe just looks like a wire.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

You could do a quick check to see if the field coil is working. Find a thin piece of metal and with the key on, place it near the alternator cover and see if it sticks. There should be only two wires in that field coil plug, green and brown.

What is the condition of the alternator connector, the one located behind the fuse panel? That is the one that most commonly fails.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 06-12-2022, 09:15 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Field coil test holds a feeler gauge with ignition on. I don't see any wires that looked like they used to be connected to that connector... not sure what the PO did. All connectors are in decent shape (after some scrubbing with contact cleaner...
        Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
        '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

Well, if the field coil works and the regulator is new, then the next thing is to check the resistance of the stator. There are 3 white wires, check in pairs at the unplugged connector, spec is 0.4 ohms.

If still no luck after all that, probably time to fix that PO butchered wiring job.
          Last edited by bikerphil; 06-13-2022, 08:54 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I've been dealing with a charging problem as well and it turned out my stator has two windings shorted. Here's how I diagnosed it.

The plug you have shown in the picture is the field winding of the alternator, if you check the resistance between the green and brown wires you should read between 3.15 and 3.85 ohms. Mine checked good there so I went to the stator wires, three heavy white wires going into a four pin plug with a fourth smaller wire in it.

The resistance between the three heavier wires should be between 0.36 and 0.44 ohms. Place one end of your ohm meter one one wire and check it against the other two then put it on the second wire and check it against the third. In my case there was zero ohms between the first and second wire indicating a short in the stator winding, a very common thing in a bike this old.

In order to continue riding with only 1/3 power output I disconnected the headlight and extra tail lights on my trunk, this gets me up to 13.1v at 3k rpm. Not the greatest but at least it's "holding it's own" Hopefully my replacement stator shows up tomorrow!
            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Considered disconnecting the headlight as well - hah...

Thanks for advice - will be checking shortly - no pun intended.
              Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
              '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

Seems there is indeed a short in the stator... will be replacing.

Thanks again!
                Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
                '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

No problem! Unfortunately there isn't anyone selling new ones so the only options is to get a used one and hope that holds up. You CAN however send your old one out to be rewound for about $180 and 2-3 weeks turn around time. As of a couple of weeks ago I'm wandering the country with no fixed address so that isn't an option. With nothing more than a coating of varnish as an insulator in a hot environment with plenty of vibration it's just a matter of time before a short happens.
                  1980 XS1100G

Comment

Ya, I'm finding this to be the case - have to cross fingers. Thanks again!
                    Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
                    '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

The ones I've found so far are 2 and 4 plug assemblies... mine is a 2 and 6(5)... hmmmm...
                      Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
                      '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

Any leads, no pun intended, on where to have a stator refurbished? Can't seem to find any with the same 6 terminal connectors like the one I have is...
                        Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
                        '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

Looks like the same part number between 1979 and 1980, my stator has a four pin connector on it. Remember, the plug with the green and brown wires are part of the field and are separate from the stator itself. Either way, there's a cross reference listed at the bottom of the page for your year. https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com
                          Last edited by LAB3; 06-14-2022, 02:00 PM.
                          1980 XS1100G

Comment

Thank you again!
                            Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
                            '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

https://lomyu.com/en-view.php?seo=custom-rewind-193145
                              Custom Rewind is probably your best bet.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X