Bike died on the way home from work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike died on the way home from work

Rode my XS to work the other day, and when I started home it made it about two miles, then died. This was at night, about 9:45pm, so not much help available. I was able to push it about 100 yards to a parking lot near a gas station. Left it there for the night, and got it home the next day.
    Today I did a little testing to try and figure out what is going on with it.
    1. Spark looks great.
    2. Fuel tank looks REALLY bad! I had coated it about 2 years ago, and had not looked at it since. After taking out about 2.5 gallons of gas I looked inside and saw a LOT of rust, and almost no red from the coating.
    Carbs are going to be pulled, though I think the filters should have stopped almost all the rust from getting through. I will probably put the Special tank back on while I work on the big tank again.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Bummer. When you say died, did it gradually just lose power or did it just die all of a sudden and total loss of power? With the gas tank in the condition it is in it could be fuel related.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

How did you coat it? I used Kreem on my tank maybe back in late 80's. Still holding up. I also used Kreem on a tank for a Kawasaki Ninja and girl never had issues.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Bike just died, would not start. I now know part of the problem is almost plugged fuel filters, plus the tank issue causing it.
        I used a red liquid, forgot the name. I think I was part of the problem in I thinned it a little bit, and only did one coat. Now I just hope I can save the big tank!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          Bike just died, would not start. I now know part of the problem is almost plugged fuel filters, plus the tank issue causing it.
          I used a red liquid, forgot the name. I think I was part of the problem in I thinned it a little bit, and only did one coat. Now I just hope I can save the big tank!
          sounds like Red-Kote.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

These days I'd be a bit concerned about using a solvent-based liner. The stuff that may be in fuel..... I might try removing the rust with a phosphoric acid solution and go linerless if the problem was mine. I put an epoxy liner in one of mine recently..
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Marty, Here in Idaho, I run only NON Ethanol gas in the XS and my small engines. It's easy to find, but regular grade is the price of E10 premium...
              The tank was lined due to pinholes, so I need a liner in it.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

The tank was lined due to pinholes, so I need a liner in it.
                Understood. I lined two of them with Caswell epoxy, but neither has yet been put into service.
                Here is my failed tank liner story. FAILED TANK LINER (XS-650 Garage USA)
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I know Acetone will take out the old liner, and I can buy it in gallon cans. After that, Evaporust, then I will try the Por15 for my next attempt.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

Kinda' sounds like your commute home from work bout turned into an 'adventure' ride.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It doesn't make sense that it would just die without running rough if was the tank coating.
                      What about a fuse?

Comment

The fuel filters both plugged up! Bike ran good going to work, but setting in the warm sun I think all the rust sank to the bottom, and entered the fuel lines when I started it that evening. After pulling carbs, I can almost blow through one line, but the other is a no-go. I have four new filters on the way, and will be installing the Special tank as it's much nicer inside. Quick clean and fogging oil and it should be good to go.
                        Last edited by DiverRay; 06-17-2022, 10:14 AM.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          The fuel filters both plugged up! Bike ran good going to work, but setting in the warm sun I think all the rust sank to the bottom, and entered the fuel lines when I started it that evening. After pulling carbs, I can almost blow through one line, but the other is a no-go. I have four new filters on the way, and will be installing the Special tank as it's much nicer inside. Quick clean and fogging oil and it should be good to go.
                          Good to know.
                          TY.

Comment

So, carbs are clean, new filters here, big tank is out for now, so I'm taking care of a little surface rust in the Special tank. It should be ready to go Monday, as I work 4 hours tomorrow. I hope to be riding this Thursday at the latest.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

Carbs back on, check gauges, and synced! Should have the Special tank on Tomorrow, as I only need two "O" rings.
                              Attached Files
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                              X