X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Biker Barn write-up XS11

XS11 WRITE-UP in Old Biker Barn
    https://oldbikebarn.com/blogs/blog/t...-yamaha-xs1100
    Last edited by MartyA; 05-24-2022, 05:06 PM.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Really great article along with some great pictures!
    Thank you MartyA for posting it here.
    Makes me proud to be an XS11 owner
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

As someone who put down $500 for a Yamaha XS1000 June of 1977, the article is right on! The factory rear tire was bald at 4,500 miles, and I had to have the front rotors drilled by a machine shop, because it would go right through the stop signs in the rain. I was ridding with a lot of Goldwing and HD riders back then, and NONE of them could come close to doing what my bike could do. That is one of the reasons I still own the XS1100, even if it's not the same one I bought in '77(SN 2H700254).
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Two things mentioned in this article that I disagree with are 1) Handling and 2) Ergonomics. Having just gotten rid of a '83 Goldwing I'll take the handling of the XS1100 over that bike ANY day, especially in the twisties and the seating position is MUCH more comfortable for my 6'4" frame.
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          Two things mentioned in this article that I disagree with are 1) Handling and 2) Ergonomics. Having just gotten rid of a '83 Goldwing I'll take the handling of the XS1100 over that bike ANY day, especially in the twisties and the seating position is MUCH more comfortable for my 6'4" frame.
          I'm also tall. I agree it's better than GoldWing, but my legs are folded up pretty tight. I hate the wrist position of the bars on the standard, but those are purely subjective. Mine has single rate springs and Race Tech Gold Valves. The rear springs are also heavy duty. It handles way better than stock, but if I run over a dime, I can tell you if it's heads or tails.

Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Yeah the wrist position thing is for sure subjective, pull back style handlebars kill mine in no time and the ones on my "G" are perfect!
            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Marty, it was well written and informative.

Comment

Working...
              X