small gas spill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small gas spill

What would cause the float needles to stick other than them hanging up on the gaskets? Had a small leak a while ago but went to start bike and float needle stuck and spilled some gas. Shut off fuel and tapped on float bowls with screwdriver handle and it stopped. Could it be that the bike sits on a block of wood almost upright? After wiping everything clean, I put a smaller piece of metal under the kickstand, so it won't be so upright. Bike runs fine afterwards and no leaks.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
    What would cause the float needles to stick other than them hanging up on the gaskets? Had a small leak a while ago but went to start bike and float needle stuck and spilled some gas. Shut off fuel and tapped on float bowls with screwdriver handle and it stopped. Could it be that the bike sits on a block of wood almost upright? After wiping everything clean, I put a smaller piece of metal under the kickstand, so it won't be so upright. Bike runs fine afterwards and no leaks.
    I am assuming from previous threads that you have thoroughly cleaned the carbs. When you did that did you verify easy movement up and down of the floats on their pins? On carbs that have set up a while I always take a small drill bit and manually run it through the tunnel where the pins reside. I also verify no gasket problems. It is best to store or park the bike upright on the center stand if you still have it. Most important of all is to shut off your petcocks.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Cajun-going to try the drill bit thing if the problem persists considering how dirty the carbs were-almost black from crappy sitting gas. Took the bike for a ride several times down the street and no problems. Petcocks are shut off always.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
        ... I always take a small drill bit and manually run it through the tunnel where the pins reside...
        I wish I had done this to my Venturer. I have one float that that does not pivot freely on the pin. It stuck one day while I was riding and caused the engine to stop. It un-stuck with a couple of raps, but now I know it might happen again.

-Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post

I wish I had done this to my Venturer. I have one float that that does not pivot freely on the pin. It stuck one day while I was riding and caused the engine to stop. It un-stuck with a couple of raps, but now I know it might happen again.
          It really does make a difference. one other thing i do, which i suspect many oters do as well, is soak all the parts in the gallon can version of Berryman's for a minimum of 24 hours. almost negates the need for the drill bit.
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
            It really does make a difference. one other thing i do, which i suspect many oters do as well, is soak all the parts in the gallon can version of Berryman's for a minimum of 24 hours. almost negates the need for the drill bit.
            I did use Berryman's... but for about 1 hour. I have always been afraid that Berryman's would darken the aluminum if I left the parts in for much longer. These carbs came off a running bike. I rebuilt them so I would be sure they were right.

Regarding my troublesome float, I think someone had distorted (bent) the float around the pin. The float was quite clean, but tight. I remember pushing something through to open it up, but I guess it wasn't enough.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

How does Berrymans effect the floats that are not brass? I'm sure you don't want them to completely soak in it.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

I have put the plastic floats in Berryman's for an hour with no deleterious effects.

I don't know what happens over a longer period.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

How does Berrymans effect the floats that are not brass? I'm sure you don't want them to completely soak in it.
                  There are two versions of Berryman's. One comes in a 1 gallon can and the other comes in a 5 gallon can. The 5 gallon can will eat rubber parts if left too long. The gallon can I have used for years because it has no ill effects on any carb parts. I have left the entire carb assembly in it for several days.
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

Comment

For the second time in 2 days, I started the bike and gas comes out into the air filter. I have narrowed it down to the carb second one in from the left. I tapped on the float bowl, and it stops but I'm confused as to why it has started to do this after many other times of no problems.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

For the second time in 2 days, I started the bike and gas comes out into the air filter. I have narrowed it down to the carb second one in from the left. I tapped on the float bowl, and it stops but I'm confused as to why it has started to do this after many other times of no problems.
                      You need to double check your float heights as well as making sure the float is not sticking open. Ethanol gas doesn't take long to destroy things.
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

I have treated gas (maybe 1 gallon in the tank) and the rest fresh gas. I started the bike yesterday but didn't turn on the gas right away. Bike ran fine with no gas leaking. Could the float stick open because of the old gas? I really need to take a ride to get rid of the old gas. waiting on a day when it doesn't rain.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

It seems to take forever for the float bowls to empty after I shut off the petcocks. The petcocks stop flowing after I shut them off. They were rebuilt by Pingel maybe 2 years ago. The bike will shutter but still keep running and I can see fuel in the lines. Is this normal? When the bike is running gas is not dripping after I shut it off and rapped on the float bowls with a screwdriver handle. When the gas is turned back on its fine.
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          Inline fuel filters
                          160 mph speedometer mod
                          Kerker Exhaust
                          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Try adjusting the float drop tang. Bend it slightly so the float(s) don't drop so low when there is little or no fuel in the bowls. When they drop too low there is a chance of the needle getting 'cocked' in the seat. The metal clip can also get hung up causing the fuel not to shut off. Tapping the carb bowl usually straightens it out.

The float shouldn't need to drop more than 1/8" to let an adaquate amount of fuel in without it binding. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220506_224826~2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	868633
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

One thing I always wondered how the clip on the float needle is supposed to be. Does it matter? Open end facing bowl?
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              Inline fuel filters
                              160 mph speedometer mod
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                              X