Clutch Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Issue

Cleaned my steels, new fibers. After reinstallation, I have an issue with the clutch. It pops, and is very stiff when bringing the handle in (non-running), won't even go all the way to the handlebar without fear of snapping the cable. Obviously, I'm knowledgeable enough to know it's not engaging correctly. I'll probs have to pull the cover back off and see if the detent bearings are seated correctly, despite them being seated when the cover was installed. Another thought I have is the fibers may be dragging on the basket windows. Nothing else I can really think of. THoughts?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    Cleaned my steels, new fibers. After reinstallation, I have an issue with the clutch. It pops, and is very stiff when bringing the handle in (non-running), won't even go all the way to the handlebar without fear of snapping the cable. Obviously, I'm knowledgeable enough to know it's not engaging correctly. I'll probs have to pull the cover back off and see if the detent bearings are seated correctly, despite them being seated when the cover was installed. Another thought I have is the fibers may be dragging on the basket windows. Nothing else I can really think of. THoughts?
    good thoughts already. stupid question time: could the cable be binding and is it and the plates lubed good?
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

good thoughts already. stupid question time: could the cable be binding and is it and the plates lubed good?
      Cable is not binding. Same routing prior to the clutch basket being removed. And, the fibers were soaked in oil overnight, prior to installation.

I will take it all back apart today to see if something is rubbing/sticking, or is the detent bearings plate came out of place.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Did you put in new springs? If so, WHAT BRAND! Barnett springs are best, OEM are second best, and most of the other springs sometimes work.
        Pull the first cover, release the cable from the clutch mechanism and try the cable with it just hanging by the cover. That will tell you if it is a cable/routing issue.
        Next, re-adjust the cable mechanism. The 12mm nut/phillips screw preload for the clutch. If freeplay is wrong, you could have too little, and are against the stops.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

second on the clutch before anything, follow Ray's procedure or any xs1100 repair manual,,,,also could be the plates could be mixed up, metal, fiber, etc, maybe recheck the order of the plates,,,also could be clutch springs, but would think that if they are worn out, it would be easy to pull in. The Barnetts are best as the factory springs wear out pretty quick , especially as these bikes are older, definitely put new ones in with any clutch plate redo.....Mike in Sun Diego

Comment

Hi guys- sorry for not following up. The cable was not binding up, and the TOB adjustment was not touched (all the way in, quarter turn out). Also, they're the Barnett HD springs from two years ago.

My guess is the clutch pack is binding up (too much oil?). I'll pull it back apart soon.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

I don't know what a "TOB adjustment" is, but I guess it would be the free play at the discs.

You probably already know it, but just in case...

You don't turn the screw all the way in then out 1/4 turn.....you turn it in until it takes up the slack (not all the way in), then back it out 1/4 turn.

-Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Does the XS1100 cover have the dot that has to be visible through the hole? If so, and it isn’t, that’s likely the issue.

Also, the XS650 uses the same plates. The early XS650 uses thicker plates. Is it possible the vendor sent you plates that are too thick?
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                  I don't know what a "TOB adjustment" is, but I guess it would be the free play at the discs.

You probably already know it, but just in case...

You don't turn the screw all the way in then out 1/4 turn.....you turn it in until it takes up the slack (not all the way in), then back it out 1/4 turn.
                  Actually, I didn't know this. Thanks Mike
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Does the XS1100 cover have the dot that has to be visible through the hole? If so, and it isn’t, that’s likely the issue.

Also, the XS650 uses the same plates. The early XS650 uses thicker plates. Is it possible the vendor sent you plates that are too thick?
                    Both 3mm in thickness. I matched them up before I installed them.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Actually, I didn't know this. Thanks Mike
                      If you had that screw that misadjusted the manual states that the ball bearings can become disengaged from the retainer plate. Something to watch out for if you still are having problems after readjusting correctly.
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

If the screw was too tight, the bearings should stay in pace, and the symptoms would be exactly as described in the original post.

If the screw was adjusted too loose, then the bearings could fall out.

I think we can be optimistic a simple adjustment might solve the problem.

-Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

UPDATE: It was a combination of two things:
                          1. I saw a video where the frictions were soaked in oil. I did this. I don't recommend not cleaning the excess oil off, as they were stuck to the steels. Kinda like the bucket shims.

2. There was an extra steel in there. 8 instead of 7. No idea.

Put it back together, and it pulls smooth.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

UPDATE: It was a combination of two things:
                            1. I saw a video where the frictions were soaked in oil. I did this. I don't recommend not cleaning the excess oil off, as they were stuck to the steels. Kinda like the bucket shims.

2. There was an extra steel in there. 8 instead of 7. No idea.

Put it back together, and it pulls smooth.
                            did you install a complete kit in the clutch springs and plates etc.? Just wondering why the extra steel.
                            81 LH
                            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                            Jim

Comment

It was either already there, or carried-over from my parts bike clutch basket.
                              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X