Speedometer cable broke at front tire end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer cable broke at front tire end

Just purchased a 1980 xs 1100 - on my first ride, the speedometer cable started whining and the needle was going back and forth- I pulled the cable out, looked ok on each end, lubricated it put it back in- no difference- next day it stopped working altogether- pulled the cable back out- broke on the front wheel end - any ideas?

Speedo needs to be lubed before you install new cable. Do a search on this site for repairs and there should be a "how to" for the speedo. If not, post back and I can try and write something up, but it will take a few days.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I got a spare cable for a special, it might fit on standards? It was working when I pulled it off, lmk if interested.

Comment

Stqndard and Special are two different cables, the bottom connection is different. The cables are available at a reasonable price. The problem is probably a gummed up speedo, as I've had one break a new cable!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          Stqndard and Special are two different cables, the bottom connection is different. The cables are available at a reasonable price. The problem is probably a gummed up speedo, as I've had one break a new cable!
          I lost a cable like that as well. These clocks don't stand up well to long term storage. Motion Pro has replacement cables. The price is reasonable and the quality is good.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Working...
          X