Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Issues

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I appreciate all of you and this forum so much, I've only had my bike a month and it has been amazing.

1982 XJ1100
    BIKE/MY BACKGROUND:
    As it is my first post, here's the quick and dirty. This is my first motorcycle, have always wanted one, but it was always a luxury. Unfortunately, we lost our business during covid and our car just died, so this bike is our only transpo. Luckily the man who had it took pretty good care of it and was very informed on what work he'd done, and what it needed. It ran great when I bought it, besides the normal 1st/2nd Gear issue, which I will be doing once I can afford a Dremel. Due to economic issues i've always had to troubleshoot my own vehicles, so I understand cars pretty well which has helped some with the motorcycle, but as you all know there are plenty of differences.

THE ISSUE:
    The "BATT" is constantly on when the bike runs, The RPM Gauge was acting up a few days ago, but is now back to normal, and the Headlight/Taillight aren't working, including High/Low Beams.

TESTS/FINDINGS:
    Battery Voltages: OFF 13.5, Key On 12.6, Running 14.5, 4500rpm's 14.5

REPAIR IDEAS:
    Test the correct wires(I have the manual that you guys generously gave) from the light reserve all the way up to the headlight for voltages as it says in the manual. Check the Light Relay. Check the Fuses.

THE DETAILS:
    I noticed the other night, after spending an hour or so in the store, the headlight wouldn't come on, as well as the RPM gauge was really acting up. As it is my first bike, and I didn't know much, I lifted the seat and checked the wires, moved them about. Nothing. Had to get home, so i rode with my flashers on, but halfway through the drive the light came on and the rpm gauge went back to normal. I thought it was just a loose wire, so I went to work the next day, RPM gauge was fine, and I didn't check the headlight until I was home as it was day(it was off).

Fast forward to today 4/14, I started reading into everything I could on these forums, understanding that this sounds like it might be a charging system issue as both light relay/RPM Gauge read off the charging system. As you see above, the voltages seem really great, so I'm not sure. As stated I will test the wires tomorrow to see where a short might be and check the relay to see if it's working correctly, if not, I know I can bypass it from the forums as well.

I will post pictures of things and what I think they are, if you guys can point me in the right direction. I think I've found the fuses, the wires, and such, but just want to be sure I'm testing the right things. I know it's not ideal, but I have to get my partner to work tomorrow to pay rent, so I'll be testing out in a parking lot. I will give as much information as you guys need.

Again thank you all so much for being here!

Jordan

If your bike still has the original glass bottle type fuses, I would start there as they may visually appear good but mayn't be.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Two big things to check are the connectors BEHIND the fuse box, large white with 4 flat connectors, and the ground points. Main ground from battery to frame, and then frame to engine. Secondary ground for most of the electrical is on one mount screw for the regulator/rectifier. There will be brown wires going to this. If you loosen and tighten the screws/bolts holding the grounds, it may help. The white connectors have the 1/4" flat spade connectors inside, and they can loosen up with time and heat, causing some resistance, and more heat. If they don't look too bad, just clean with some fine sandpaper, and use needle nose pliers to try and squish down the two curved ends on the female side of the connector so you have a better electrical contact. The XJ IS a little different than the XS bikes I have owned, so I'm not sure about any other issues that may be common to them.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have never owned an XJ, but I am aware there is a battery electrolyte level sensor that triggers the BATT light.

If your bike has an AGM battery, or the sensor is not inserted into the battery, that is causing the BATT light. If it is not being used, folks tie the sensor to ground through a 2k resistor to make the light go off

I don't think the BATT light is related to your problem.

Like the others said, the fusebox is the lowest hanging fruit.

-Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Thank you to everyone replied, today I cleaned off some of the wires and saw that the ground from the battery to the frame was pretty messy. I decided to sand and clean it off like some suggested, and I and I looked and the light was on after I hooked it back up. I road the bike around a bit, and it seemed to ride a bit smoother and the light never turned off. I'm afraid to mess with it anymore until I have a few days off so that I don't accidentally messing up while I'm out 60 miles from home.

Will update early next week if the light is still functioning.

Comment

Working...
          X