Exhaust Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Question

I had bought an xs1100 exhaust (after market) on ebay months ago for my 81 MNS. I am having problems installing them. I compared them to the old one and noticed that the flange is taller than the original ones, hence I don't have enough thread sticking through the clamps to bolt them on. Is the a difference between the Standards and the Specials or did these not come off an 1100? Just wondering before I buy another pair and make the same mistake. Thanks, Phill

Can't help you specifically with the exhaust model question, but if you really like the exhaust, then you could go to your local hardware store and get a set of longer metric studs and replace your OEM's?!?!

My aftermarket pipes also stuck out a ways, just had enough room to start the nuts, and get a few turns on them, then as I tightened them, the flange brackets slightly bent inwards towards the engine, but they hold nicely. Also, are you sure you got the flanges lined up with the head holes properly? I had to finagle mine a bit pushing and pulling the header pipes slightly apart to get them to slide into proper position. Hope this helps?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: Exhaust Question

YES, there is a difference between the standard and the special. I noticed that Jardines come with two sets of adapters. The adapters bridge the gap between the header pipes and the head. There was a long set and a short set of adapters...

If you replace the studs, you should use penetrating oil and be patient to allow it to work. I would also buy an "official" stud extractor. BIG fear is snapping off a stud.

Originally posted by pshaw
      I had bought an xs1100 exhaust (after market) on ebay months ago for my 81 MNS. I am having problems installing them. I compared them to the old one and noticed that the flange is taller than the original ones, hence I don't have enough thread sticking through the clamps to bolt them on. Is the a difference between the Standards and the Specials or did these not come off an 1100? Just wondering before I buy another pair and make the same mistake. Thanks, Phill
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
      X