Hard to find parts; rear brake grommet and caliper slide bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to find parts; rear brake grommet and caliper slide bolts

So finally got around to working on some box-o-parts projects I picked up over 10 years ago, and stuck on finding these last parts. The rubber grommet that mounts on the swing are and that brake torque arm slides over is nowhere to be found, I did some searching but it seems metric bushings/grommets are not very common. The other is the bolt that the calipers slide on, the shoulder on these bolts is larger diameter than the thread od so not a common design. I tried some keyword searches on the forum but nothing came up. anyone know where either of these items can be found? thanks in advance
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Try Andreas

https://xs11.club/forum/buy-sell-tra...r-sale-andreas
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I have had trouble with the swingarm brake bracket bushing four times.

The first three times, I bought an electrical grommet, but the slot was too thin, so I widened the sot on a bandsaw. It's tricky, so I usually tried it on 3-4 grommets and picked the best one.

This past couple weeks, I've been working on my SF. After 6 years, the electrical grommet was getting hard and was cracking up. I tried something different this time. I wrapped the post with two stretched layers of silicone electrical tape. Then I put on two rubber garden hose washers. Of course the braket bracket pushes in between the two garden hose washers. Honestly, this seems a lot better than the grommet.
      Last edited by Radioguylogs; 12-31-2021, 10:44 AM.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I just used a grommet from an assortment . Find one that fits the groove on the bracket / cut it and slide up on the pin and push the bracket up . Cant go anywhere and does the job . Up or forward , been so long cant remember .
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

I could have sworn that I used hex head cap screws to replace my bent caliper bolts. I think I got them at the Home Depot. They are usually hardened so I'm not worried about the strength.
          1979 XS1100 Special
          1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
          1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
          1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

thanks for the input, will have to keep an eye out for a grommet that is close. For the bolts I found some from a cbr600, they are just slightly shorter in the threaded area but have that same oversize shoulder under the slider. Maybe no issue with a regular cap screw, but they could affect how evenly the pads let off when you release the brake. Likely not issue for most folks, but this project bike I picked up the brakes had been stripped down and powder coated so none fo the fasteners were still with them.
            I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

If they didn't block the bold holes, you will need to strip the coating from the inside or NONE of the correct bolts will fit. Most places know that, but...
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X