XS1100 Midnight Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 Midnight Special

Hey I'm new here, there a guy down the road selling a 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special for $1500 and I guess I just wanted to know if it was worth it. Bike has some wear and tear but nothing too extreme. Seat is in great condition and the bike starts right up. Might need new spark plugs but it runs good. Drove it around the block and it shifts really nice. I'm super unfamiliar with XS1100's so that's why I've turned to here for some guidence. Is that a good price? What should I be looking for?

In my opinion, $1500 is a fair price for any XS1100 model (standard, special, or MNS) that is roadworthy, rideable, with reasonably decent cosmetics. The price could be significantly greater if it has low mileage, in exceptional cosmetic condition and all OEM. A nice clean OEM black chrome exhaust alone would increase the value.
    Last edited by Ranger_xs1100; 11-22-2021, 08:31 AM.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

It has 59k miles on it, does not have the original exhaust which is unfortunate, and the gas tank is pretty rusty on the inside. Other than that tho there's not really any other rust on the bike at all. Would the gas tank be an easy fix, or replacement? Not sure how easy it is to get parts for the bike.

Comment

Here are the pictures that the guy provided in the add

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
          In my opinion, $1500 is a fair price for any XS1100 model (standard, special, or MNS) that is roadworthy, rideable, with reasonably decent cosmetics. The price could be significantly greater if it has low mileage, in exceptional cosmetic condition and all OEM. A nice clean OEM black chrome exhaust alone would increase the value.
          Not quite sure how this forum thing works yet, not sure if I have to "quote" you to reply to you're post or not so this is me trying.

Comment

Napahkiin, A lot depends on what your personal goal is. The bike looks to be in fair condition and if it runs as well as you say, then I think it is a nice find for riding as is. I would probably make a lower offer however due to the mileage. All he can do is say no and then you’ll have a decision to make.

If your goal is to restore it, then you’ll be making a significant investment. But I think it would be worth it if you are an MNS enthusiast as I am.

It looks like the carbs are not the original black carbs with the gold chrome tops. However, the carbs can be painted. Gold plating the tops can be done, but is pricey of course. It also looks like the airbox does not have the original gold chrome. That would be hard to find.

It’s hard to tell for sure from the picture but I think the bike has a desirable tune-able kerker super trapp exhaust which has value and could easily be sold if you wanted to purchase an OEM system. But finding a black chrome OEM exhaust is nearly impossible so you would probably need to find and have a regular chrome exhaust coated.

Depending on how bad the internal tank rust is, it probably can be cleaned and saved. I use evapo-rust. Cajun31 has said that he has found that using cider vinegar produces good de-rusting results.
            I could go on and on, but in general, I think the bike appears to have very good potential.

Hopefully others here will offer some opinions for you as well. Good luck and keep us posted if you go for it.
            Bob's Bikes:
            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
            "
            Project XS11"
            "Rucksack Grunt"
            "Small Unit Leadership"
            "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
            For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
              Napahkiin, A lot depends on what your personal goal is. The bike looks to be in fair condition and if it runs as well as you say, then I think it is a nice find for riding as is. I would probably make a lower offer however due to the mileage. All he can do is say no and then you’ll have a decision to make.

If your goal is to restore it, then you’ll be making a significant investment. But I think it would be worth it if you are an MNS enthusiast as I am.

It looks like the carbs are not the original black carbs with the gold chrome tops. However, the carbs can be painted. Gold plating the tops can be done, but is pricey of course. It also looks like the airbox does not have the original gold chrome. That would be hard to find.

It’s hard to tell for sure from the picture but I think the bike has a desirable tune-able kerker super trapp exhaust which has value and could easily be sold if you wanted to purchase an OEM system. But finding a black chrome OEM exhaust is nearly impossible so you would probably need to find and have a regular chrome exhaust coated.

Depending on how bad the internal tank rust is, it probably can be cleaned and saved. I use evapo-rust. Cajun31 has said that he has found that using cider vinegar produces good de-rusting results.
              I could go on and on, but in general, I think the bike appears to have very good potential.

Hopefully others here will offer some opinions for you as well. Good luck and keep us posted if you go for it.
              couldn't have said it better myself. You need to consider what your ultimate goal is for the bike then go from there. Not knowing much about xs1100's in general, you have at least come to the right forum for advice. Bottom line is that bike lacks quite a few things to be a good example of a MNS. Along with what Bob has pointed out the bike is also missing the center stand, which might not be useable with the existing exhaust and they might still have it. You might want to ask. Also the seat on the bike is not an MNS seat. The mileage is not excessively high, however you have to understand with any used bike, you don't really know how it has been treated over time. If it runs and shifts smoothly that is definitely a plus. I don't know what your budget allows. If it were me making an offer I would probably get laughed at with what I would offer for that particular bike. Of course like Bob I am a MNS enthusiast and have owned one of my 80 LG MNS's since I bought in brand new. I also have two others that I have restored over the past two years. I would only be interested in that bike with restoring it to it's oem condition which would dictate a lower offer from me. Like I said ... you need to decide what your goals for the bike are and make an offer you can live with. If none of the cosmetics are important to you then ask them what would be the lowest they would take for it. As Bob stated ... I always use apple cider vinegar to clean the inside of the tank. Can offer more advice on that procedure if you decide to buy the bike.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

I have an '81 SH that I 'resurrected'. The tank was a disaster. I was considering using a liner compound when I read about another member using distilled apple cider vinegar and small nuts and bolts (I used steel shot). Worked great! As cajun31 mentioned, there is a procedure but well worth the time. Sounds like the bike would be a good investment.

Comment

Hey everyone! I ended up buying it anyways, dropped him down to $1250 which was reasonable enough for me. Mechanically it runs great, had to choke for like 30 seconds this morning but it was pretty cold. Starts up right away now. Most of the issues with it is cosmetic which is a given for an 80s motorcycle.

Comment

That's a good purchase. This cleaning process is not like putting vinegar or apple cider in tank. But if done, inside of tank will be like new. Now just remove the tank and clean it out. Remove fuel gage and petcocks, make up some covers for openings. I use metal and rubber to make up seals. I use fish tank rocks and water to remove heavy rust. Then use Metal Rescue, let sit in tank on all four sides, make sure gas cap has a good seal, over time Metal Rescue will eat away paint. One of my tanks was so bad I had to replace petcock filters and fuel gage. But inside of tank looks like new. No tank sealer to peel away.

Comment

Pictures of tank clean up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sightseeing View Post
                        Pictures of tank clean up.
                        cleaned up well. The apple cider vinegar leaves the tank just as clean and won't hurt petcocks, fuel level electronics or paint.
                        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                        Jim

Comment

Hello all, I just joined and am looking forward to interacting with all of you. I just purchased my MNS this summer after not having a bike for more than 30 years. This beauty brought me back to my younger years when I couldn't afford one.
                          1981 Midnight Special
                          Formerly had a Seca 550 and boy was it fast!!

Comment

Originally posted by normalthom View Post
                            Hello all, I just joined and am looking forward to interacting with all of you. I just purchased my MNS this summer after not having a bike for more than 30 years. This beauty brought me back to my younger years when I couldn't afford one.
                            Looks nice! Much better condition then mine is in. Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Thank you. I'm currently attempting to get engine crash bars powder coated gold to match better. I also need to get new grips and mirrors. Hopefully have it all done before spring rolls around.
                              1981 Midnight Special
                              Formerly had a Seca 550 and boy was it fast!!

Comment

Working...
                              X