Long term implications of early adoption of technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term implications of early adoption of technology

It's been over a decade since I sold my XS to my neighbor and good friend. I sold it for far, far less than what I had into it, and even less than blue book or what have you. I sold a strong running bike, with functional improvements. Some of those improvements were hard to accomplish due to the "high technology" of the XS. It works against those trying to make a running motorcycle. I refer primarily to the ignition system.

In 1978, the XS debuted with a fully electronic ignition. Vacuum advance. Slick.

Rivals had points and capacitors, which, frankly, suck. Mechanical advance. Suck.

But there were excellent bikes that had ****ty ancient ignition systems. The Kawasaki 1000, etc.

Over the years, multiple manufacturers have stepped up to the plate to provide a replacement for points and capacitors on these bikes. There's a market because the original systems sucked.

So, in 2021, the aftermarket solution is... a transistor based ignition module, a timing plate and Hall-effect "sensors".

The same technology the XS had in 1978.

But, since the XS already had this stuff and there aren't many XS's, nobody made an aftermarket kit. (?)

I was lucky to find NOS pickups from a dealer 170 miles away. I bought a couple extra ignition boxes to work with. Tested transistor outputs then replaced every single capacitor in the box.

Had a big fat spark at the right time through Accel coils.

I realized then if I had a KZ1000, I could have bought a kit off the shelf, swapped it, and be good-to-go.

So, cutting edge technology sold to a limited market has limited utility, and may actually hurt you in the long run.

I have 300 LaserDiscs that I've replaced with Blu-Ray. I can't bring myself to throw them away. Go figure.

Anyway...

2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

https://www.elektronik-sachse.de/sho...ha-xs1100.html
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Touché! When did that get released? And beyond that, how did you come across it?! It certainly didn't exist fifteen years ago...
      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

We've been here a long time. It has com up on XS11.com.
        https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...-are-out-there
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Working...
        X