Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I paint my '78 XS1100 before selling it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another comment here I read is the truth...these youngsters (under 40?) arent even remotely interested in these type of motorcycles anymore.
    I'm 68, and fall right in line of "superbike lover" Heck one ride on a new 1978 LTD 1000 was all it took for me...I rode that one into the 1990s
    Shame, but that's the world we live in now. The 1 or 2 SERIOUS buyers you may have will be older and will NOT want that painted, trust me. Leave it alone
    if you want to sell it. But odds are in the end you may end up painting it to keep it because you dont want to give it away. And you could do a lot worse. Got to love how those big dogs make power.
    Last edited by tbird71; 09-19-2021, 10:11 PM.
    Thanks...Ride Safe!

Tom
    79 "Excess" Eleven
    www.rrwatch.net

Comment

Originally posted by tbird71 View Post
      Steve; I've got one with a stock Yamaha Vetter fairing on it which (to me) absolutely ruins the looks. It's a one owner but he also put on a set of those "special" type handlebars which a lot of guys did back then, and a kinda crappy lookin MAC black header which doesnt match the looks (for me). Thankfully he DID have the stock pipes. But I'm old school. First thing off was the pipes when we got em home. But odds of findin a nice Kerker is 100 to 1. I've been looking for a square headlight bucket
      and front turn signals to (maybe) try and sell like that. But I'm aware what these are worth, so I'll end up just keeping it. At least YOURS is stock, but most here know these old XS arent worth much. 15-1700 is a fair value on that one
      The GS1100s are worth a little more (I have a nice 81 but even THOSE right now arent bringing dick
      If you're thinking 2500 you may be dreaming. Paint it, and IMO will be worth even LESS the side covers are the only thing that really need it but you'd have to pin them
      I've got about 1100 in mine and it needs carb work to run, I may be better off selling as is to the first offer of 1K or better, but for THAT paltry sum I think I'll just keep it. And sadly that's about all it will bring as it sits
      Anybody got a square headlight bucket, turn signals, stock mirrors, and stock handlebars?
      or let me know YOUR thoughts. Does ANYONE like this better with the Yamaha Vetter setup?

Click image for larger version Name:	xs112.JPG Views:	0 Size:	261.6 KB ID:	866535

Click image for larger version Name:	xs111.JPG Views:	0 Size:	285.3 KB ID:	866534
      I'm 62. I like the bike. Vetter could stay. The handle bars go on my Special, not that bike. I strongly prefer the stock pipes as well. I know NADA prices mean nothing, but was surprised to see my XS650 Special listed far higher than my Eleven Special. I guess there's more interest?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Working...
      X