Click image for larger version

Name:	3D07AB7F-26FD-44EF-A34F-00E02FB89209.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	866289 Click image for larger version

Name:	3D07AB7F-26FD-44EF-A34F-00E02FB89209.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	866293 My newly acquired SF has just turned up and I'm straight into it. Love this bike!

I could see from the pictures in the ad that it had the wrong seat on. The same people selling the bike were also separately selling what they said was an SF seat base. So I bought that too and they were delivered together. Now looking at the seat base and scratching my head. I don't know what it is but I am pretty sure I know what it isn't. An SF seat base. Unless I'm being thick. Which is always possible!

Pictures attached of seat on the bike and separate seat base. Can anybody identify this for me please? If it is the wrong base it's going back where it came from because it was expensive!
    Attached Files

The seat base will not fit ANY XS1100! It looks like an XJ seat of some type. The 3H3 is a clue, but that label could have been installed by someone else. The rear of the '79 seat has metal that wraps around the back, to hide the mounts, etc. All the later seats have an "open" back, like those in your photos.
    This is a "modified" 1980 Special seat pan. Note the steel around the rear of the seat, and if you can see it, the cut sides so it will not lay on the side cover.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You can buy a new seat from Texavina.
      https://texavina.com/1979-yamaha-xs1...eat-sku-d4175/
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Thank you! That may well give me a good interim option while I look for a genuine one and grab bar.

Comment

I wish you were closer. I have an aftermarket seat I took off of an SF and I could give it to you to use until you find the OE seat.

However,I think to cost to ship it overseas is too much?

-Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
            I wish you were closer. I have an aftermarket seat I took off of an SF and I could give it to you to use until you find the OE seat.

However,I think to cost to ship it overseas is too much?
            That's extremely kind, thank you. I've just finished completely rebuilding a Honda CB1100F that I also imported from the USA (the XS is a Texas bike, the CB came from Florida). I had to import a lot of parts for that because it was never officially imported to the UK, so I have a pretty good sense of what it costs in postage and taxes. It's not as bad as you might think, but it would be a lot better if your President remembered who the USA's friends are and got on getting a free trade deal done!

Comment

If England is not our friend, then no one is.

Postage to ship a seat within the continental US is ~$50.

-Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
              X