Advice needed on selling 1979 xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on selling 1979 xs1100

Got 2 xs 1100 specials want to sell one.
    1979 xs1100 16k miles Red original paint and original everything except. Pod filters/jetted carbs
    Runs and rides good tires dirty could use a deep cleaning but no dents/scrapes etc. Very nice original low mileage bike. Been sitting several months so I'll throw a batter tender on it and fire it up soon to keep everything running good.

I priced it at 2k then 1800... Had some interest and lowered to 1500... Lots of interest but only one person came out to see it. What sucks is that Inhave an immaculate one owner 11k mile black xs1100 parked next to it and another 5 Yamahas that look like new SO by comparison it looks junky Lol.

Is 1500 too much for this bike now?

I have it posted on here as well

Located NE Indiana. Bike can just sit in garage but inwould like to make room for another I plan on getting....

I look at the bikes in Craig's list in my area every day.

I know pricing in Indiana is siilar to Michaigan, becasue sometimes I look at the Indiana prices.

Of course, the asking prices you see on Craig's List are not the same as the selling prices.

I notice that an XS1100 in beautiful running condition should sell for $2,000.

A nice looking, non-running bike might be worth $1,000 or less. A rusty, non-running bike is only worth a couple hundred dollars.

I think $1500 is the right price for your bike I sold a nice looking, completely serviced,and running XS750 for $1200 a couple of year ago. I thought my asking price was low, but I relized there is not much demand that model.

You might try listing your bike in the Detroit and Chicago Craig's List- Many potetial buyers wiuld drive 5 hours to buy a bike. I have.

Hope my thoughts might help.

Don't forget, demand is better in the spring.

-Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

As a former sales guy, motorcycles and airplanes, I’ll say that first impressions are everything! When you display your 11 next to the other bikes, the visual difference is going to make your 11 seem trashy regardless of its attributes. Separate the 11 from the other bikes, particularly when showing it. Try to put it in some sort of complimentary setting, simple, no other visual distractions. Very much like staging a house that is for sale.

Comment

If you push it outside then the tire kickers don't have eyeballs on everything in your garage.

If you're listing it for $1500 I would think you would negotiate to $1350 (10% off) which seems like a fair price for a decent runner.

Maybe take it to the car wash and hit it with a good dose of simple purple degreaser and scrub brush instead of a full on detail.
        1979 XS1100 Special
        1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
        1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
        1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

1500 or ill keep it lol. But yeah I'll have it outside garage next time. Also I will try and list around me

Comment

Working...
          X