Attachments for Vetter bags to XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments for Vetter bags to XJ1100

Picked up a set of Vetter hard bags, and attached hitch. Vetter rack comes with two attachments. One for passenger foot peg, and an upper one to attach to the frame. Considering the additional weight of the the hitch, I've got some concern about only having two attachment points. The setup wasn't customized for an XJ1100. I also assume that bolt extensions are required to maintain square, or are their other suggested methods of attachment besides bolt extensions. Thanks for any info.

Sure... send the stuff to me, and you wont have a problem anymore

Bolt extensions are OK, but as I understand, there are two places that hold the whole thing... footpeg and under the seat... how bout welding (it isn't plastic or alu is it? In that case bolting) another rod that would bolt on the rear blinker mount... not the rubber one. I think that would work for a standard, dunno bout the special or the XJ...

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I am curious about the hitch. How is it attached to the Vetter bag frame? Most of us who run hitches have custom-built units that attach to frame holes under the seat and near the rear turn light mounts. On my set-up (XJ with Vetter bags) the only connection between the hitch and the bags is the cross-bar that fits between the bags. This bar just helps stabilize the hitch a bit, but is not really a load-bearing bart of the assembly.

I would be very hesitant about using a hitch that was part of the bag mounts only; the mounts are designed for the weight of the bags, not pulling a trailer. A trailer hitch should be attached directly to the bike's frame, IMHO.

The set-up I put on the XJ came from an XS 11, no bolt extensions required, though I did have to make an extension for the lower mount as the 'arm' was to short to reach the footpeg mount and still keep the luggage rack level. Wll try to take a couple photos and post them here in the next couple days.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
      X