Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing arm removal nightmare

Hi all.

I need advice from those that know how to remove important bolts carefully.

I am in the process of breaking down the bike to its skeleton. Now I have hit a snag, quite a big one. I can’t remove the swingarm. I have removed the lock bolts on both sides which were super tight (I think some #@£* used Loctite) now I need to remove the pivot bolts and they are super tight (Loctite??). Some one used red Loctite on the carbs on this bike in the past (that was fun to open up…not). I need to be extremely careful to not destroy the pivot bolt, thread, etc. as they are not as easily replaceable as some of the bolts on the carb. Have already broken a hex bit trying to remove the pivot bolt.

My mission is to repaint the frame (and potentially the swingarm). What are my options here, I see the following:

A) leave the swingarm attached and paint as part of the frame
    B) try to heat the pivot bolts to melt the Loctite and risk….what? Not sure what I risk, bearings, greasing (if it fails)…
    C) any other ideas folks…

Appreciate any help I can get.

I would try PB Blaster first, spray the thread area real good let it sit overnight. If still no good, go for the propane torch. There are rubber seals in there, and that should be the only thing that may suffer possible damage. There are taper bearings in there so they should be OK. Gotta take it all the way down to do a proper job.

Some one used red Loctite on the carbs
    PO must have been a Harley owner.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 08-01-2021, 04:43 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, had to figure out what PB Blaster is, and have a European alternative.

Comment

You might also want to use an Pneumatic or electric impact wrench when you get it soaked. The sudden shock might help break it loose.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

Working...
        X