Zero valve clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero valve clearance

Hey guys I have air popping out the carb and spark plug hole on number 1. Did a valve adjustment job last month and number 1 intake measured .12 so I didn't change it. Pulled the rocker cover today (engine cold) to check clearance and I cant get a feeler gauge in there at all.

Ive also confirmed that the timing dots are lined up when at the T mark. How on earth could my clearance disappear over the course of a month? Ive only ridden it twice.

1980 xs1100
    Edmonton, AB
    1980 xs1100S

There was probably a piece of crud in the valve seat when you measured last time.

Now that you measure a smaller clearance, that's the measurement to trust.

-Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I was running super rich as I put new jets 110 and pilot jets 42.5 in and was tuning the bike. I understand these are stock but PO had 100 and 25 respectively. Is it not possible that so much carbon built up that it caused number 1 intake to remain open due to carbon build up? Plugs were covered!
      Edmonton, AB
      1980 xs1100S

Comment

Originally posted by deanstrickland View Post
        I was running super rich as I put new jets 110 and pilot jets 42.5 in and was tuning the bike. I understand these are stock but PO had 100 and 25 respectively. Is it not possible that so much carbon built up that it caused number 1 intake to remain open due to carbon build up? Plugs were covered!
        I would go ahead and check all the valves again starting with that one. You stated you were tuning the bike after the jet change... by the way those jets are what come stock in the later specials. Back to the tuning.... what exactly were you doing and what tools were you using. Super rich as you stated doesn't make a lot of sense with the jets you are currently using. I use the color tune to make my pilot screw adjustments ... tuning them all out until I see the first hint of yellow/orange. Of course that gets the bike just to the rich side but nothing that will run you out of the garage.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

I would do another valve adjustment, and then once the engine is warmed up, squirt Berryman's B12 or Seafoam onto the carbs until the engine dies. Turn off and let it set for about 20 min. then restart and rev to about 3500. That will clean out all the left over carbon inside the engine. You may want to check the valve adjustment one more time after that, just to be sure all is well.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
          X