Parts swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts swap

Hi everyone, new member here with a first post. I currently have an 1981 xs1100 venturer I’m about to start doing up. Recently a 1980 850 midnight special went for sale in my area. Besides engine, is mostly everything on these bikes interchangeable? Thanks for any info!

*edit. Apologies if this has already been covered or if I’m posting in wrong area of site, not too familiar with forums yet
    Last edited by Labradave; 07-19-2021, 12:09 PM.

Some of the parts will swap, but not as many as you might think. Big problem is the Special to Standard swap. What I WOULD swap is the final drive unit! The 750/850 unit is geared a little higher than the XS1100, and will reduce RPM at freeway speeds, giving better MPG figures. A lot of the electrical will work, though again, control wires from the handlebar are longer on the Special. Front rim, and a few of the "hard" bits will work, but the body/tank parts will not fit. This is just a "quick" response, a search should give you more precise info.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      Some of the parts will swap, but not as many as you might think. Big problem is the Special to Standard swap. What I WOULD swap is the final drive unit! The 750/850 unit is geared a little higher than the XS1100, and will reduce RPM at freeway speeds, giving better MPG figures. A lot of the electrical will work, though again, control wires from the handlebar are longer on the Special. Front rim, and a few of the "hard" bits will work, but the body/tank parts will not fit. This is just a "quick" response, a search should give you more precise info.
      Thanks for the reply! I’ve been trying to search but can’t seem to find any particulars. This bike is a 5 hour drive away from me now and I guess I was looking for a quick yes or no that most things will swap out just fine; brakes, lights, fenders etc.

Comment

Not much swaps over. Seats -no. tanks -no. Body parts -no, except front fender and that is only Special to Special or standard to standard. There are plenty of parts you can use, but very few are difficult to source. You can use the lights and the wheels but everything is black or black & gold on a Midnight. No chrome. XS850 brake rotors are smaller than XS1100 rotors. Special front calipers won't fit your standard.
        Last edited by jetmechmarty; 07-19-2021, 06:07 PM.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

If you haven't already done so read these. Interchange Guide - XS11.club Forums
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
            If you haven't already done so read these. Interchange Guide - XS11.club Forums
            Ah, here we go! Thanks !

Comment

Working...
            X