Right Hand Controls: Headlight On/Off Switch Delete Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Hand Controls: Headlight On/Off Switch Delete Issue

Help! I replaced the right hand controls on my old 1978 XS11, due to a broken headlight on/off switch and missing starter button.

The new control does not have a headlight on/off switch; no big deal I thought, just wire it in the on position so the lights turn on when the key switch is engaged.

I connect the red/yellow wire (went from on/off switch to the dimmer relay) to the blue/black wire (goes from starter button to instrument cluster lights/reserve lighting unit). The cluster lights, headlight, and running tail light all came on, but when I push the starter button, nothing happens. If I remove the connection, the bike turns over and starts right up, but without any lights.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the lights to turn on when the key switch is on, while also being able to start the bike...

I've included a couple photos showing the lit up cluster when the wires are connected, and a close-up of the wires themselves, hope they help.

Any input is very appreciated, thank you!!!

"Doing this wiring stuff is stupid easy..." - Nobody Ever

The headlight only comes on after the engine is running. Some kind of relay in the circuit.
    Jeff Korn
    Original Owner 79XS1100 E
    Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

OK, but the lights don't come on even when the bike is running due to the red/yellow wire not being connected to anything. If the lights are on, it won't start. And if the wire is disconnected, it starts, but the lights don't come on. Was hoping someone out there knows where I need to jump this wire to so both my lights and starter button work...

Comment

Looking at the two schematics, it looks like your new 79 and up switch has 3 less wires in it's harness. if you find the connector of the bike's harness under the tank, there should be 3 extra wires, blu, red/yel, and blu/blk. Find a way to jump all three of those wires together with each other and try it.

What year switch are you using? There may be another grounding wire issue with the starter button.

Just looked at your pictures, I see there is no connector there. Ok try this, unplug the headlight relay with the 4 wire connector and jump the blu/blk and red/yel and then hook your new switch up so the bike starts like you said.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 07-07-2021, 07:58 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
        X