exhaust popping out one side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust popping out one side

1978 XS11 is popping out the right side muffler at idle and through higher rpm. It has been sitting for a few months. Any suggestions?
    1978 XS1100E
    1982 XJ650RJ Seca
    2001 Yamaha XT225
    2002 Suzuki DR650
    2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
    AMA charter life member

run some seafoam or berryman's B12 through the tank. Add about 1/2 cup to a half full tank and ride it for a few miles. If that does not work, you will need to pull, clean, and re-sync the carbs.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      run some seafoam or berryman's B12 through the tank. Add about 1/2 cup to a half full tank and ride it for a few miles. If that does not work, you will need to pull, clean, and re-sync the carbs.
      DiverRay,thanks for the quick response. I have already added Sea Foam, I will ride it and see what happens. I have mercury sticks, if need be I'll sync them or clean.
      1978 XS1100E
      1982 XJ650RJ Seca
      2001 Yamaha XT225
      2002 Suzuki DR650
      2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
      AMA charter life member

Comment

Check the vacuum caps on the carb boots, could be leaking.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Andersen View Post

DiverRay,thanks for the quick response. I have already added Sea Foam, I will ride it and see what happens. I have mercury sticks, if need be I'll sync them or clean.
          Pertaining to syncing the carbs, having run engine till at normal operating temp., FIRST set idle mixtures, backing out one mixture srew, then slowly start back in with it JUST till a constant change is heard. Then back mixture screw out 1/8th of turn and no more than a quarter turn. Do each of other three mixtures screws same procedure. Now using your manometer, sync the four carbs. Go back and repeat mixture screws settings procedure, then check sync and adjust as necessary.......done.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post

Pertaining to syncing the carbs, having run engine till at normal operating temp., FIRST set idle mixtures, backing out one mixture srew, then slowly start back in with it JUST till a constant change is heard. Then back mixture screw out 1/8th of turn and no more than a quarter turn. Do each of other three mixtures screws same procedure. Now using your manometer, sync the four carbs. Go back and repeat mixture screws settings procedure, then check sync and adjust as necessary.......done.
            sometimes messing with those idle mixture screws before synching the carbs makes it harder to get them synched. Of course I am talking about a set of carbs that are new to you. If they have been running on your bike they are probably very close and what Brant has suggested will probably work OK. If not then you might want to start with each screw lightly seated then back off 2.5 turns. Synch the carbs... adjust each screw... and if possible use a color tune to accomplish that. Turn each screw in or out until you just see the hint of orange in the color tune view glass. Synch the carbs again and you will be spot on. If you still have popping out of the exhaust then you have a leak. You will find it almost impossible to sync the carbs if it is an intake manifold leak. If you have an exhaust gasket problem then you will notice popping on decel. Good luck... hope you get things worked out.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

All good suggestions, thanks to everyone. It's up to me now.
              1978 XS1100E
              1982 XJ650RJ Seca
              2001 Yamaha XT225
              2002 Suzuki DR650
              2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
              AMA charter life member

Comment

Fouled plug, ancient plug wire, bad connection between plug wire and plug, Cracked nipple on carb boot, are suggestions to check in addition to the above.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  Fouled plug, ancient plug wire, bad connection between plug wire and plug, Cracked nipple on carb boot, are suggestions to check in addition to the above.
                  skids, thanks, I will add this to the check list.
                  1978 XS1100E
                  1982 XJ650RJ Seca
                  2001 Yamaha XT225
                  2002 Suzuki DR650
                  2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
                  AMA charter life member

Comment

Working...
                  X