Hi again and carb tees question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi again and carb tees question

It's nice to see everyone here. Thanks to all who did all the work moving things over. I have had a few setbacks but hope that I can get my SG running again, even if if the powers that be tell me I can't ride anymore. Kurt I still hope to get down to the rally as I always hope to.

Anyway, the bike was running well two years ago, and was parked with fuel stabilizer run through it, battery out and on a trickle charger. I'd actually taken the tank and octy off to install a Venturer tank just for fun and to see if I could get those extra miles. Not a terrible place to be when disaster hits, I think, it could have been worse.

So now that I'm finally able to dust her off and see about getting her running, I'm noticing that the carb tees both point straight down. I wish I could remember if they were that way when I took the octy and tank off, but brain fog prevents me from accessing those memories.

Is that a problem? Could they have migrated downward over that time? It seems so odd. I may be pulling the carbs completely for a big clean but was curious about this first. Haven't tried to start it but was planning to hook up a bottle and try it soon. (it's at a friend's house 90 miles from my home so I don't have easy access to test things).

Any thoughts?

Steve R

'80 SG
    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
    1978 XS400E Red
    1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Hopefully you won't hit any 'snags' getting your SG back on the road then ready to ride to our Rally in September. We look forward to seeing you there.

It is more than likely that you moved the Fuel T's when removing the Octy. Whether any fuel line was attached to the T or not, those fuel T's can get in the down T position. Still have the fuel line? That would be the tell on how you had your fuel line routed from the Octy to the T. Highly likely you moved them. As long as they had not been leaking then you can carefully move them into the position you need based on your fuel line routing. Anyway, that probably isn't straight up either for the fuel T.

We realize its a bit of a pita for you not having your bike right there with you. 90 away adds to the complication.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Jeff

78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
      It's nice to see everyone here. Thanks to all who did all the work moving things over. I have had a few setbacks but hope that I can get my SG running again, even if if the powers that be tell me I can't ride anymore. Kurt I still hope to get down to the rally as I always hope to.

Anyway, the bike was running well two years ago, and was parked with fuel stabilizer run through it, battery out and on a trickle charger. I'd actually taken the tank and octy off to install a Venturer tank just for fun and to see if I could get those extra miles. Not a terrible place to be when disaster hits, I think, it could have been worse.

So now that I'm finally able to dust her off and see about getting her running, I'm noticing that the carb tees both point straight down. I wish I could remember if they were that way when I took the octy and tank off, but brain fog prevents me from accessing those memories.

Is that a problem? Could they have migrated downward over that time? It seems so odd. I may be pulling the carbs completely for a big clean but was curious about this first. Haven't tried to start it but was planning to hook up a bottle and try it soon. (it's at a friend's house 90 miles from my home so I don't have easy access to test things).

Any thoughts?

Those fuel T's move freely if not caked up with gunk. I will recommend that you fully disassemble and do a thorough cleaning of the carbs just because it has been sitting so long. It will pay dividends on performance and peace of mind.
      While you have them apart it is a good idea to replace all the rubber components. Good luck and I hope you get it squared away.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Thanks gents--I have been 'wanting' to clean the carbs for some time but have limited space and honestly, as much as I've enjoyed working on the bike over the years, I've found that when it comes to the small, careful, clean, etc. jobs I'm three steps back for every one I take forward, and then the riding season is over and I've gotten very little riding time in. If I pulled the carbs I'd likely be looking for someone who could do it right the first time and whose hands weren't all thumbs like mine. I know that's the right way to go and may just bite the bullet this time, since I'm officially off the riding circuit unless and until the vertigo goes away.

Best I can tell from the octy they were facing back 90 degrees. I'll see if I can move them when I hook up the bottle. And I'll take off a bowl and see what kind of horror is inside there, hoping the Sta-bil was somewhat useful...
        Steve R

'80 SG
        "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
        1978 XS400E Red
        1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Working...
        X