Ignition Unit Relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Unit Relocation

I got a good deal on a Saddlemen replacement seat cover for my 1980 xs11 Special, and bought some Super Cell Atomic Foam from Sargent Cycle. When I rebuild the seat, I am thinking to relocate the ignition unit to the toolbox and modify the seat pan to eliminate the bump. All this in order to shift my riding position down and back and create a bit more of a bucket. I'll shape the seat foam to my liking and then (if necessary) modify the seat cover to fit the new foam shape. I couln't find anything similar in a site search. Has anybody done a similar ignition relocation and seat pan modification. Any advice?
    Cruiser Eddy

1980 XS Eleven Special
    2002 Roadstar (past)
    1998 V-Star (past)
    1982 XS400 Maxim (past)

Keep the shiny side up, and keep the dirty side down
    Keep your eyes on the road, and keep your wheels on the ground
    Every man's gotta go his own way, but just remember these words I say
    Hey, hey, hey - Keep the shiny side up

I have done work on a seat pan, but it's because the '78 Special I have came with an '80 seat. You should be able to move the TCI without too much bother, just peel back the wrapping on the wire loom and free up the wires going to the TCI. Once you have the TCI moved, just get a small bit of 20GA sheet steel, cut the bump off, and weld on the flat sheet.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I've relocated the TCI to the toolbox before. I sawed off the mounting tabs on the TCI so it would fit in the box, and drilled a hole large enough for the 8 pin connector to fit thru.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You can move it to the toolbox but make sure the connectors cant get wet when it's raining. Think of water thrown up by the rear wheel and so on ..
        XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
        MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
        Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
        Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
        Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
        Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

That bump in the seat pan removes 1/2 the cushion under my wife's butt. She said it's not very comfortable and I didn't realize how a big flat seat could be uncomfortable until I looked at the pan shape. Please post up on your modifications so I can see what you go through when dealing with customizing a seat.
          1979 XS1100 Special
          1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
          1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
          1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Check the "awake after a few years of sleep" thread. Just cut the "hump" off, and weld in the 20ga steel plate.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Thank you all for the tips. Ray, I'll check out that other thread for sure. I'm gonna have to plan a trip to Boise one of these days to see my sister-in-law and family so I can meet you face to face. Some things need to be done before I do that kind of mileage, though, like fork springs and the cam tension adjuster mod. Sure wish I was closer to one of you XS gurus when tackling those kind of "new to me" projects!
              Cruiser Eddy

1980 XS Eleven Special
              2002 Roadstar (past)
              1998 V-Star (past)
              1982 XS400 Maxim (past)

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seat1mod.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	865037
                Cut the "hump" off and weld in a flat plate. I used 1.5" closed cell foam on my seat. I have two layers on parts of the seat. You cannot feel the pan.
                Last edited by DiverRay; 05-26-2021, 07:49 PM.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

Thanks for the pic, Ray
                  Cruiser Eddy

1980 XS Eleven Special
                  2002 Roadstar (past)
                  1998 V-Star (past)
                  1982 XS400 Maxim (past)

Comment

Working...
                  X