XS1100 Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 Opportunity

I've been riding on a 1980 XJ650 for about 5 years now and I've really wanted something with a little more power. There is a "barn find" that someone is selling for $500 that looks in pretty good shape, but there is no paperwork or keys with the bike (it's been sitting for about 5 years with gas in the tank). I'm assuming that the carbs and petcocks are dead (will need to be rebuilt). The tires are confirmed dead. The battery is almost certainly dead. The engine and brakes look like they are in good shape though. I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide any insight or advice for me (I can send the link to the pictures in a private chat).
    Jay

That is a 1980 XS1100 Special. I don't see the tail light assembly, it would go at the back of the seat. The clutch will probably be stuck, so I would remove the left engine crank cover and use a 19mm to see if the engine still turn over. Depending on your state, a bill of sale MAY be all you need for a new title. If not, you can go the Vermont route for a title. Plan on rebuilding brakes, new brake lines, carbs, possibly coat the tank, and almost all the rubber parts. Figure between $750 and $1400 for parts, etc.
    If you are up for the work, you will have a nice around town bike. A little extra mod or two and it would be good for longer rides as well. Do a search on "neglected bikes" in this forum.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thank you DiverRay. I'm up for quite a bit of work, but the carbs are the ones that bother me (I can do a lot of work, but I am horrible with carbs). The person also said that the keys were missing, which is really sketchy to me. I'll do the recommended search and see what others have run up against. If I found a running bike for $1500, I think that that might be a better deal. For NH, I would need to pay for a VIN search at the inspection station before registering the bike and that would give me the ability to register it. It wouldn't need a title, but just the fact that they don't have the keys or the title worries me a bit.

Comment

Do a search on the VIN through the internet. I don't know what State you are in, but most will also do a search for you to see if the VIN is in the stolen vehicle list. Look at the left side of the triple tree for the VIN, and the MFG sticker that should be there. Check the engine number as well, it should be the same as the bike unless someone changed it out.
        Keys are easy to get, about a week through the internet with the number on the lock, or you can have a locksmith make some for you.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
        X