Gas Tank Lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Lid

Ok, I got the key for the bike. I thought first place to try was the gas tank to see inside. I put the key in. It turns, however the tank will not open. I sprayed WD40 in the lock. It worked better, but just won’t open. I hear a click after I push down on it. I sprayed WD all around the lid. It just won’t unlatch. I don’t want to force it and break anything. It feels like it won’t retract far enough. It does work in the ignition.

So, anyone have this issue?
    79 F

You pushing down on the lid as you turn the key?
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

The seal may be stuck to the top of the tank. Push down, turn key, then lift. Pull up with key to help lift. If it does not want to open, you will need something to pry it up with the key turned.
      New tank seal from MikesXS will fit both Standard and specials.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
        You pushing down on the lid as you turn the key?
        Yes I am. I tried it all kinds of ways. I hear this click after I push it down. It is as if something is not retracting all the way.
        79 F

Comment

Bend a bit of 14GA sheet metal so you can slip it between the cap and the chrome trim. Push down and turn key, then slip it in and push towards the rear of the bike from the front center. That should release the catch if it's not working properly, though I do think it's the rubber gasket stuck to the top of the tank. You can use the sheet metal to pry up on the cap and see if it will free up.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Success! I got it open. I very gently pried it open with a flat blade screwdriver. It popped. It was the latch on that pin.
            It looks great in there. Just a tiny bit of surface rust.
            79 F

Comment

Working...
            X