Doing research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing research

Hey everyone, I'm developing an intrested in bikes and trying to get something to start with. I love car and enjoying working on them, constantly learning. I'm trying to do some research on the XS1100 so determine if it's a good bike for me to begin with (I really like the cafe racer style builds) and so far I heard some good things. I've also heard that it doesn't corner very well especially at high speeds which I probably shouldn't be doing just getting into bikes but nevertheless I know my habits. If you could offer any information or tips that would be great. I've included a link for one I found on Marketplace that looks like it needs some love, if you could offer any advice on determining if it can saved or not that would perfect. Thanks in advance.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6440937677198/

Save more and buy something that runs and rides. If you want to build something, so be it but get something to ride to see if you're even going to enjoy riding on the street. You can get something for under $2000 that would only require maintenance. Sign up for a safety course and ride their bikes, pass the course and walk away with a license and small discount on insurance.
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

A big +1 on that.

With any Cafe project it all depends on what you intend to do and how long the bike will be 'interesting' to you. A lot of Cafe Projects turn into belly flop failures as people start the project then loose Interest, Time or Money. Plus if you end up wanting to sell a customized Cafe XS11 the market is about zero. Point being you can put extensive time and thousands of dollars into a bike that won't have much if any value. Its about the joy of the build or restore then the years of pleasure of riding it once it is safe and roadworthy.

BTW, that guy is dreaming if he thinks that junk is worth $600. With 'certainty' of Title maybe $200 (expect some guys would say $100) but it possibly could make a hulk core for a Project if you were in for a big project.

As mentioned, if you are new to riding then i'd follow that advise and start off with a safe running bike and get some Miles behind the handlebars to be sure you like riding. As for any Project Bike that can be a time & money pit unless you are ready to tackle a project. Maybe along the way you can find a half complete XS11 Cafe project that got started but never finished. There are plenty of those out there. Many have taken a good bike, had no real plan or expertise or money then hacked it up with a cutting torch then put the whole mess into the shed to age and corrode.

Good Luck & keep us posted,
      Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

The only thing wrong with that bike is the price! I'd offer $250, and not go more than $400 on it. It will need a complete rebuild of the engine BEFORE you try to sort out everything else!
        If you have not ridden a motorcycle on the street, then take a class and get a 350-600cc bike as a starter. I would go with a used 350-450cc, learn and see if you really like riding, and then go for a project.
        If you're looking in Ontario, OR you are probably close to me. I'm about 40 minutes East in Idaho, so you could have a little local help on critical items.
        Last edited by DiverRay; 05-05-2021, 03:06 PM.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Nømad0 View Post
          Hey everyone, I'm developing an intrested in bikes and trying to get something to start with. I love car and enjoying working on them, constantly learning. I'm trying to do some research on the XS1100 so determine if it's a good bike for me to begin with (I really like the cafe racer style builds) and so far I heard some good things. I've also heard that it doesn't corner very well especially at high speeds which I probably shouldn't be doing just getting into bikes but nevertheless I know my habits. If you could offer any information or tips that would be great. I've included a link for one I found on Marketplace that looks like it needs some love, if you could offer any advice on determining if it can saved or not that would perfect. Thanks in advance.
          https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6440937677198/
          He or she would have to pay me $600.00 to pay for my time and effort to take that off their hands.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X