Vacuum advance and "octopus" diaphragm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum advance and "octopus" diaphragm

I've been trying to put back together a bike for a friend and we are almost there after rebuilding the motor and getting broken parts replaced.

For the life of me I can't figure out where the "octopus" is and how the petcocks and fuel lines connect to it as well as where the vaccum assist spark advance line attaches to. I have looked all around in both service manuals and diagrams online but can't seem to make heads or tails of this part.

First off can I eliminate the octopus since I don't even have it anymore and if so where do all the vaccum lines connect since it seems everything flows into the Octopus.

79 XS1100F is what I'm working on.

Thanks in advance

Ben

The advance should connect to the #2 carb BODY. It should be the only carb with a connection for a hose on the upper left side, as you sit on the bike. Carb #2 is the second from the left, as you sit on the bike.
    Don't worry about the octopus, it's a PITA that you don't need. Connect the left side rear tap to the right side carb fittings, the lower fittings are for gas, and the upper fittings are a vent for the carbs, and MUST be to air or the fitting on the stock airbox. The front fittings on the petcocks should be blocked off, so they will not leak gas if you turn the petcock to prime by mistake.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If you're sure the bike is an XS1100F it doesn't use the Octi but the SF does.
      Here's a link to diagrams: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...e/1979/xs1100f
      If you do have an SF here is the Octi setup:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Octy-fuelrouting.jpg
Views:	3444
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	864611 Click image for larger version

Name:	Octy-fuelrouting.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	864612
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        The advance should connect to the #2 carb BODY. It should be the only carb with a connection for a hose on the upper left side, as you sit on the bike. Carb #2 is the second from the left, as you sit on the bike.
        Don't worry about the octopus, it's a PITA that you don't need. Connect the left side rear tap to the right side carb fittings, the lower fittings are for gas, and the upper fittings are a vent for the carbs, and MUST be to air or the fitting on the stock airbox. The front fittings on the petcocks should be blocked off, so they will not leak gas if you turn the petcock to prime by mistake.
        This is great since I don't even have the octopus anymore.
        I understand everything except the rear tap to right side carb comment what are you referring to?
        Since none of the vaccum / fuel lines were there I am replumbing all of them.
        If I can just cut out the octopus completely my assumption is I should be able to run direct from the petcock to the 1-2 fitting for one side and 3-4 on the other and just plug the vacuum port on the petcock and be done right?

Comment

The diagram in thread #3 is for the SF with an octopus. If you have the F model, the petcocks are different. They will have a single port for the fuel, on the bottom of the petcock, pointing to the center of the bike. There will also be a smaller port in back of the petcock, pointing to the front of the bike.
          Again, connect the fuel port to the bottom "T" fitting between carbs 1&2, and 3&4. We usually cross so the left petcock goes to 3&4, and the right to 1&2 . Makes it easier to run the fuel lines. The vacuum port is the smaller one, and it will connect to the port on the intake manifold. Left side to #2, right side to #3. #1&4 manifold ports should be capped unless syncing the carbs. The "upper" "T" between carbs 1/2 and 3/4 is still the vent, and MUST be open to air. They will usually go into two small plastic fitting on the top front of the airbox.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ok great, this makes so much more sense. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
            X