model h tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model h tank

i recently purchased another (it's a sickness) xs1100 is the 79F has 10,000 miles and has been sitting. Not my first restore. i believe it might have a H model tank.. it was on the bike but flopped around.. was missing rubber mounts, borrowed mounts from another 11 and tank still flops loose. I find out the tank is wider than the round rubber mounts that the front of the tank slips over.. Maybe is an H tank or some big ape stretched a standard tank wider where it sits over the frame. tank does not look deformed as if it was bent, just a little fatter.and wider where it sits over the frame. were there different rubber mounts for an H tank. Bike is full dress with Bates faring and bags otherwise appears to be completely stock mechanically.

The two bikes have basically the same tanks and mounts. Are you sure you are not missing something? Here are the schematics from both year models that you can compare parts. As you can see the part numbers for the rubbers are the same.

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 OEM Parts Diagram for Fuel Tank | Partzilla.com
    Yamaha Motorcycle 1981 OEM Parts Diagram for Fuel Tank | Partzilla.com
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

I have 5 and have owned 2 others and always thought that the standard tanks were all the same. this tank is different. it may be possible that it has been bent but i cant imagine how or what could have spread the two halves apart by approximately inch at the mounting point without making wrinkles in the metal somewhere. It looks exactly like a stock tank but I can't guarantee it is the original tank as bike, bags and faring are painted the stock looking blue with matching pin striping. I believe i could make rubber mounts that are thicker to reach the walls of the tank but i think I would want to extend the metal stubs they go over to make sure the tank is supported firmly.

Comment

I believe an 'H' tank would be a Venturer tank - it is bigger than the other Standard models @ 6.3 gallons. I don't know if the mounting would be different than another Standard tank.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          I believe an 'H' tank would be a Venturer tank - it is bigger than the other Standard models @ 6.3 gallons. I don't know if the mounting would be different than another Standard tank.
          Not......all the same mounting.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

well that leads me to a stretched out tank possibly from over pressure.The flanges around the bottom of the tank (just below the rubber mount locations)are1.5 inched further apart than on a stock tank that fits. i guess it is possible that a bike sitting a few years, possibly under a tarp in the sun (I actually Have no idea about the history)could have heated the tank to create enough vapor pressure to deform the tank. i would have thought it should have vented before that point. However it got stretched, it looks perfect just wider. even as far back as the fuel taps they point out a bit more instead of down. I could use some suggestions on how to bend it back or to make mounts for it as is. slightly wider doesn't look bad and it doesn't leak

Comment

5bikemike can you post up a pic of the tank? It's probably not a XS model tank, someone here can confirm that after seeing it I'm sure.

---Bax
              80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

attempting to post photos Almost certain it's an xs11 tank that has been expanded by internal pressure. well i loaded 4 it says 4 but only showing 3 will see what shows when posted. Where that tank measures 10" my other stock tanks measure 8.5. also look at the splay angle on the fuel taps. It doesn't leak, matches the bike, and tanks aren'.t cheap or even very available around here. so the question now is how to get it to mount securely. And if pressure did do it why didn't it vent and might that be a problem

Comment

4 photos show up. Do you think you can clamp along the seam, and try to pull it back closer to what it should be? I see that someone has blocked the float, and that may have something to do with why it has over-pressured. Another thing to try may be to heat the tank with a good heat gun, and toss dry ice on it. That will usually shrink steel back to an original size. I'm thinking upside down, and toss the ice in the center to try and bring the sides back together.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I'd be thinking to remove the petcocks, place an angle iron along each seam, and try placing several clamps on the angle irons. Then you could tighten the clamps in a sequence to match the dimensions of a known good tank.

However, there would no guarantee the tank would bend in the right places. You don't have much to lose if a better idea doesn't come along.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Maybe try wrapping around the tank some ratchet straps. I would remove the emblems first.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 05-03-2021, 09:49 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'm thinking something like a 2x8 on edge down the spine between the halves and a bunch of ratchet straps side by side around tank and wood. To bring the sides in I think the bottom center has to go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                          The mount is the same. The handlebars for the H are higher to clear the taller tank.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                          03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by 5bikemike View Post
                            well that leads me to a stretched out tank possibly from over pressure.The flanges around the bottom of the tank (just below the rubber mount locations)are1.5 inched further apart than on a stock tank that fits. i guess it is possible that a bike sitting a few years, possibly under a tarp in the sun (I actually Have no idea about the history)could have heated the tank to create enough vapor pressure to deform the tank. i would have thought it should have vented before that point. However it got stretched, it looks perfect just wider. even as far back as the fuel taps they point out a bit more instead of down. I could use some suggestions on how to bend it back or to make mounts for it as is. slightly wider doesn't look bad and it doesn't leak
                            It is possible Mike. I tried to force a dent out of an H tank once with air pressure. It made a “bang” sound and it did spread the mounts on the sides outward and it also deformed the rear of the tank downward. LOL! I wonder what happened to that tank! There you have it...one of my xs11 blunders.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                            03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

FIXED IT! was easier than i thought. I have a 20 ton harbor freight press. made a table across the support bar with a 1" thick piece of plywood. placed a 50 lb bag of general purpose sand on table. shaped it kind of like the top of the tank placed tank on it's back and a couple pieces of 2x4 lengthwise in the spine of the tank and gently put pressure on the middle of the tank. Did it slowly moving the wood from place to place pressing and measuring as I went. sides moved in and rear mount bent to correct angle. had to over bend as the tank rebounded a little after each press. tried it on the bike for fit as it got closer. now fits like a champ and looks fine with no leaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X