Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork service... Dust seals, gasket, oils seal, oil seal washer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork service... Dust seals, gasket, oils seal, oil seal washer...

Trying to source everything to go through my 11k mile 42nyear old forks. No leaks look perfect BUT I'm going to change fluid so might as well do seals/covera/gaskets. I prefer OEM Yamaha parts most of the time but hard to find all these part numbers available.

Any good alternative sources for all of these items (don't want cheap no name Chinese **** off ebay) that people have used with success?

I just find them off of Ebay. With this pandemic that is generally the quickest way you can get them. I do watch out for cheap chinese knockoffs. There are many reputable people on Ebay. Just make sure you get the right ones. The specials are a bit different from the standards, however I think your year model special is actually different from the later specials. I have never owned your year model bike. When you do them just be careful about removing the old ones so you don't mar the forks. The old seals can sometimes be a bit hard to get out. I just work slow and methodically and use a few expletives as I proceed. The only thing that usually needs to be replaced are the seals themselves. Everything else is reusable.
    Last edited by cajun31; 04-23-2021, 01:55 PM.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Here is a link to the schematics for your bike. At least I think this for a special. The site doesn't really indicate and for some reason most parts houses quit showing the the 1979 xs1100 SF schematics. Yamaha XS1100S 1979 USA parts lists and schematics (cmsnl.com) If you will look at the seals for the 1100S and say that of an SG and look at the pictures of the seals you will see that the ones for the S have a lower profile... not as thick as those for the later specials.
      Last edited by cajun31; 04-23-2021, 02:01 PM.
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      Jim

Comment

I've noticed parts diagrams aren't great at differentiating 1978-1981 and standard from Special

Comment

I think the fork seals you need are the part number in the schematic I listed in my previous post. They are different from the later year model specials.
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
            I think the fork seals you need are the part number in the schematic I listed in my previous post. They are different from the later year model specials.
            Get genuine Yamaha fork seals. I have had the best luck (no leaking) with those over the years.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
            03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

For removing old fork seals, I have found using a heat gun makes the difference between 'aggravating' and 'no big deal'.

I use a typical seal remover tool, but I put a putty knife under it so it doesn't mar the forks outers.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post

Get genuine Yamaha fork seals. I have had the best luck (no leaking) with those over the years.
                Totally agree with skids! Aftermarket seals of any manufacturer WILL cause leak issues.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X