Brake question 1979 xs1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake question 1979 xs1100 special

Going to order master cylinder rebuild kit new brake pads fluid et cetera. Always had good luck with EBC organic on my older bikes. Very confusing to find the right brake pad front and rear for this bike based on year and being a special. Went to EBC manual catalog and looked through and it looks like there's a different brake pad number for left and right on the front. Can anybody verify this? Very confusing. The worst thing is it has 1980 next to it so I'm not sure if that was different than 1979 see attached pic.
    Attached Files

Yes, the pads ARE different! The front has a different set for the left and right because of the design of the brakes. The rear is the same as all the rest of the XS1100 rear pads, so it's easy. That list does NOT list the '79SF, but I think it's the same as the SG. I would make SURE before ordering the pads.I bought the set I use from ebay a while ago, so I don't remember who I got them from, sorry.
    Look at the old master BEFORE you order a kit. I had to replace the one on my '79 Special because it had a bad pit in the bottom of the bore from water.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The chart is too fuzzy for me to read.

I can tell you the front left and front right pads for the Specials are different from each other. They have a slanted shape to the pads so the pads are not a homogenous thickness. The angle of the slant is opposite for each side.

However, the pads are the same for all years of the Special.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

OK... So still confusing...

Left caliper has different OR same pads on right and left placement?

Right caliper has different or same pads on right and left placement?

Left caliper uses two pads that ARE identical and those are different from the right caliper that uses two pads that ARE also identical?????? +

Pic of Amazon order.... Looks like a 61 and a 41 both for front
        Attached Files

Comment

EBC #'s

Front:
          Left side is FA-61
          Right side is FA-41

Rear is FA-34

This applies to all Specials except '81 Midnight Specials
          Last edited by bikerphil; 04-18-2021, 10:22 AM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            EBC #'s

Front:
            Left side is FA-61
            Right side is FA-41

Rear is FA-34

This applies to all Specials except '81 Midnight Specials
            Ditto on what phil said. As for material there are varied views on what is best. I have honestly never given it a second thought. The key to longevity in the pads is your riding braking habits and the condition of your braking system. Meaning that don't skimp during the rebuild process. Use quality parts and make sure everything is cleaned before reassembly. On the specials ... make sure the rotor is centered in the calipers on reassembly or you will have premature failure of one of the two pads, reduced gas mileage etc. There is a technique on how to get them centered but it is very important that you do that.
            Last edited by cajun31; 04-18-2021, 03:56 PM.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Gotnit thanks!

Comment

The front brake pads are each different. You have 2 pair, but each in the pair is different! Yeah, Special brakes are a nightmare! Make SURE you do one side at a time when you open the pads, or you will be spending some time trying to get them to go on correctly. DAMHIK.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  The front brake pads are each different. You have 2 pair, but each in the pair is different! Yeah, Special brakes are a nightmare! Make SURE you do one side at a time when you open the pads, or you will be spending some time trying to get them to go on correctly. DAMHIK.
                  Ain't that the truth though. Never make that mistake again.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

I knew there were left and right front pad sets but I could only find EBC’s FA61 part number, thanks for the post showing the right side part number FA41.

Comment

I just ordered EBC Organic pads, master cylinder rebuild kits, and full caliper rebuild kits with SS pistons along with Apex black braided hoses/silver Banjo (as stock looking as possible). $$$ but after 42 years better safe than sorry. Figure it will be good for at least another 42 years (I'll be 94 so probably won't be hot rodding it)

Comment

Working...
                      X