'79 XS11F charging troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 XS11F charging troubles

Hello all - having a spot of trouble with my charging system and am unsure how to proceed, Alternator resistances within spec - but battery stays at ~10.5V while engine running and/or revved a bit. Once shut down - battery returns to ~11.75V. Top off battery to ~12.5V and repeat.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks for reading - Mike in MA
    Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
    '96 Triumph Trophy

Hi Mike, The charging system needs to be excited to output. First guesses would be the connector or the voltage reg/rectifier unit. Check out geezer's store for an updated unit if the pins in the connectors are visually fine.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html

Bax.

BTW: I'm living in NH and work in Wilmington, MA.

80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Also, please check the large white connector BEHIND the fuse panel! They get old, and then cause heat from the resistance and burn up. This is the main connector for the charging system.
      #2 check, take the mount screw with all the wires on it off of the reg/rec, clean up the screw/wires, and tighten down. without a ground the system will not work.
      Geezers site, oregonmotorcycleparts.com, also has a good trouble-shooting section. do read through it for help as well.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Bax - greetings from Peabody! The PO wired a lot of the bike from scratch (it seems) connectors look clean and whole. I actually bought a cheap reg/rec from the 'bay in trying to get to the bottom of a different issue - which I've since debugged - so haven't tried installing it yet. Perhaps I should. Appreciate the response!

Thank you as well Ray - will give it all another once over and check out Geezer's as well. Just noticed your signature - 73!

Will update with anything interesting!
        Last edited by W1BV; 04-13-2021, 01:23 PM.
        Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
        '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

Turns out it was the reg/rec - seems to be charging now - glad I had that spare. Thanks all!
          Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
          '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

A little late to the show but like Bax said they don't charge until they get excited. Meaning you have to rev the bike up to I believe 2000 rpm in order to see a voltage rise out of the reg/rect. Of course the best thing to be able to do is to get out and ride it. I hooked up a voltage meter inline with mine so that I can glance down at it while riding to see if everything is elevated as it should be when riding.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Going to try one of Geezer's units. Took her out yesterday and after idling at a couple stop lights, she died at one. Waited 5-10 minutes and was able to get back down the road a bit before she finally really died. Got a decent workout pushing her home though. It started raining, of course... but we had a nice double rainbow - so all was well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rhPombF.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	864844

Thanks again for the replies!
              Last edited by W1BV; 05-13-2021, 04:22 AM.
              Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
              '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

If you want to temporarily increase the charging output, tap into the green field core wire and ground it, check with a meter, should be 14+ volts with a rev. of the engine. It shouldn't harm anything doing this.
                Last edited by bikerphil; 05-13-2021, 09:22 PM.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Definitely sounds like your voltage regulator rectifier has bit the dust.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

If you want to temporarily increase the charging output, tap into the green field core wire and ground it, check with a meter, should be 14+ volts with a rev. of the engine. It shouldn't harm anything doing this.
                    I would only do this as a quick test of the rest of the system!! It WILL kill your battery if you try to run it this way! I know this for a fact, thanks to a shorted wire in the loom. It will also get up to about 15.8-16.2V at higher RPM.
                    But again, this IS a good, easy test of everything in the system short of the reg/rec. You should be getting about 15V at 2500 rpm.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

At the moment, voltage drops steadily at idle, and creeps up a bit when revving... going to try the Geezer unit and hope it does the trick. Thanks again to all for replying.
                      Mike in MA

'79 XS1100F
                      '96 Triumph Trophy

Comment

Working...
                      X