Where do all those hoses go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do all those hoses go

I am new here but not that new to cycles. I have worked on a few, but man there are a lot of hoses coming from the tank to the carbs and to parts unknown. I purchased an 1980 xs1100G this winter from a guy here in Montana. He managed to disassemble it to a point to where it is hard to see where things go. I did get the starter to turn over this morning so that was encouraging. I would like to put some gas to it and see if it starts. I am using a Clymer manual. Hard to tell where those hoses go. Does anyone have a better diagram? Thanks in advance.

For the carbs, you have 4 "t" fittings. The fittings near the top of the carbs are vents, and the gas goes to the fittings lower down. To start it, just hook up the two lower "T" fittings to a fuel tank, pull the "choke" lever, and try it. Do watch for overflowing carbs! Sometimes after sitting a while a float will get stuck, and you can fill the engine crankcase with gas if you leave the fuel on.
    The vent hoses do connect to the airbox once you get that far along. Just make sure everything is open, as you may flood/starve for fuel if the carbs are not vented.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks. That is what I will do then. I checked the web and some of the other posts here trying to figure those things out. The manual I am using just does not have a clear picture.

Comment

The large hoses from the fuel taps go to the lower carb T's between carbs 1+2 and 3+4. the smaller hoses from the fuel taps go to the intale boot fittings on cyl 2+3. The hose from the left rear of the tank is a drain overflow and goes towards the ground.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, looking forward to getting it started.

Comment

Well, I put some gas to the bike last night as Ray suggested and it fired right up. Idled and ran just great for sitting for so many years. The previous owner has already chopped the back of the bike. He did not hoop it yet. I am going to continue on with the cafe racer build. I need to purchase an antigravity battery that will work well with the bike. Any suggestions?

Comment

If you go to a Lithium battery, you will need to change the reg/rec. Stock unit is not adjustable, and can put out too high a voltage. A sealed gelcell may work, and it will work with the stock charging system.
              BTW, glad it fired up! If you didn't clean the carbs, then the PO must have put it away with no gas in the system. I would still pull and check the carbs for the jetting. If you do NOT have all Mikuni jets, you can have a problem! I know, I had to change out the pilot jets in the Special because they were after market and I could not get it to run properly last year.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X