X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to main fuse block...

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 78' XS1100.
    The bike has been sitting a long time... I have begun cleaning all the electrical connections...

Does the starter solenoid have anything to do with getting power to the main fuse block? I jump the connection to the starter relay and the bike did turn over.

Big wires to the starter solenoid are not related to the fuses. It makes sense you can jump them to turn over the engine.

Power to the fuseblock passes through the IGN switch before it goes to the fuseblock. Perhaps you want to start looking in that circuit.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

There is a heavy RED wire that connects from the battery cable to the main fuse block. There should be a connector, on a green wire IIRC, that the red wire connects to. This is your main power wire. It will connect to the ignition switch, and exit as a brown wire for power.
      If you still have the glass fuse block, REPLACE IT! They are about 1/2 of the problems with these bikes, as the steel springs no longer make a good connection.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	864010 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	864011

Comment

Thanks guy. They disconnected the ignition switch wire - ok, no problem. I will plug that back together...
          There are some other wires disconnected here. Can you guys provide any direction on these unplugged?

Comment

It looks like I will have one wire not connected to anything, does that make sense?

Comment

Yes, there are one or two wires that are used when you install a fairing. Not needed if you run without.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

Hey Ray, Do i need to plug any of these loose wires together.

Comment

No, there should be a shield/plastic on the wires that are "hot". You can wrap a bit of tape around the end if you are worried about it.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

Ok, so we are on the same. Looking at the picture I posted. I have 5 loose wires. I do not connect those anything and they will remain unconnected?

Comment

Green/Yellow and the Brown male connector wires should be for the front stop switch. The three female connector wires, Brown, Red, and Green/White, can be left as is.
                      This is from the 1978XS1100E service manual, looking at the wire diagram on the back page.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Do you know where I would connect the male wires? So, my brake lights would work?
                        I have service manual, not really sure how to read the wiring diaphragms though...

Comment

You should have a switch off the handlebar, it plugs into the brake master underneath the banjo bolt for the calipers. Look for a small wire bundle, two wires, from the right side. The heavy bundle is from the handlebar switch assembly that is part of the throttle.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG

Comment

Ok, I see the two wires from the handle bar switch. They come into the headlight area (green/yellow and brown). I am not seeing where to plug those wires in behind the head light...

Comment

Use the picture in your post #4. The Brown plugs into the brown female with two positions. This is switched 12V. The green/yellow plugs into the green/white, single connector. Then with the key in the run position, try the front brake and look for the light to come on to verify it's correct.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                              X