Custom air filter assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom air filter assembly

Hello, I’m building an air filter assembly and I’m interested in getting input from the group as to weather what I’m making will cause any problems that I’m unaware of. I ordered a k&n e3514, it’s basically a large oval about 4 inches high. My plan is to build a plate with holes that will accept the stock velocity stacks and a second plate to sandwich the filter between. I’ll use some standoffs between the stacks to hold it all together. It will function like a a single large pod filter but I will still be using the stock stacks.

I’m curious what this is going to do as far as jetting goes. Is there a reason I haven’t seen anyone els do this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. if this is the wrong forum for this I apologize. for some reason I am unable to post in any forum other than idle talk. I’ve emailed the admins but I’m not sure if it’s just me or if that’s just the way things are as I’m really new here.

I've seen pictures of an air filter called the Henry Abe bread box on the Kawasaki KZ forums. Sounds like something that you are thinking about fabricating?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bread box 002.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	863975
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

Bderum,
      With all the work your custom filter assy. is going to take, why not just use the stock OEM Filter Box? No need to worry about jetting changes etc.

I know some prefer the "Look" of the POD style and others just hate wrestling with the OEM box. The OEM box can be a PITA that is true. However, once you get use to the little tricks for getting the carbs in/out it's not really too bad. Also, once the carbs are properly cleaned and set-up well, if the bike is maintained properly and driven somewhat regularly pulling the carbs back out is a pretty darn rare event. I haven't had the carbs out of any of my XS11's in a couple years.

KURT

Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

So I agree with you and I actually sort of like the stock air box and that was my original intention. I promise I didn’t just get a hair up my ass and decide to tear off the old air box. However upon investigating the literal pile of parts that is this bike. I realized that 1. my airbox is missing the center plate, and 2 the jetting installed is actually a stage 3 dynojet kit. I have the stage 2 stuff as well, so I could go to that and use the original box I’d just have to find a new center plate.

I only started down this path because the PO had pod filters on it when I got it and something inside me doesn’t like those. Probably because I like the word velocity stack and I wanna use them.

also Ranger_xs1100 is spot on that’s exactly what I’m building. Any reason why that wouldn’t work. I guess we will find out either way.

Comment

All I can think of is keep room so you have about 1 1/2" between the stack and the back of the box. There is also the crankcase breather, it will need a filter or to be placed into the airbox like stock. I do have a few parts here, let me know and you can have them for shipping cost. PM me and tell me what you do have, or send a pic, and I'll try to fill in the blanks for you.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bderum View Post
            So I agree with you and I actually sort of like the stock air box and that was my original intention. I promise I didn’t just get a hair up my ass and decide to tear off the old air box. However upon investigating the literal pile of parts that is this bike. I realized that 1. my airbox is missing the center plate, and 2 the jetting installed is actually a stage 3 dynojet kit. I have the stage 2 stuff as well, so I could go to that and use the original box I’d just have to find a new center plate.

I only started down this path because the PO had pod filters on it when I got it and something inside me doesn’t like those. Probably because I like the word velocity stack and I wanna use them.

also Ranger_xs1100 is spot on that’s exactly what I’m building. Any reason why that wouldn’t work. I guess we will find out either way.
            I am trying to understand what you mean by missing the center plate.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

I am trying to understand what you mean by missing the center plate.
              I’m just using the wrong name for the piece, I apologize I should have looked it up. It’s item number 14 in this pic.
              Last edited by Bderum; 04-08-2021, 07:58 AM. Reason: Wrong item number given

Comment

sent you a pm about air box, have several $20 plus ship, thanx andreas

Comment

Originally posted by andreashweiss View Post
                  sent you a pm about air box, have several $20 plus ship, thanx andreas

lol thanks Andreas. I know you’ve contacted me and I promise if I end up wanting parts I will contact you to see if you’ve got what I’m looking for. This bike was an actual pile of parts when I got it so anything I do at this point is an improvement if it moves it towards being on the road again. Also the the air box build it partially because the PO had the jetting set up for a 4-1 with aftermarket filtration IE dynojet stage 3, and since I don’t like pods so much I’m making a different option. If it looks like dog **** or doesn’t work well I’ll scrap the idea and use the stock airbox.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	79D04369-D50B-46FB-8574-4F399538DB2A.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	864242 Click image for larger version

Name:	05CD2E46-72D6-4175-B253-ED3525A66400.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	864241 So two things. Firstly I need to acknowledge that I’m a dummy and that because the only xs airbox I’ve ever seen is the one I have I didn’t realize that the part Click image for larger version

Name:	30EBC6D9-18A6-4835-B4A5-BC0109C725B5.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	864238 Click image for larger version

Name:	B6F71488-74B3-4521-9A44-8E159EF4020A.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	864239 Click image for larger version

Name:	DF3AA100-3D9C-4F19-91AC-A6D1DA8A5734.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	864240 I’m missing is actually the silencer hose that allows it to function and not some apparently imagined divider plate.
                    secondly, I completed my xs11 bread box mk1. It’s a little rough but I think I’m going to try to polish the aluminum and maybe ad a few clamping screw around the perimeter. Let me know what you guys think.

Comment

Nice work. Looks solid and after a bit of polishing should look ok on the bike. How much does it weigh? The reason I ask is I was just wondering if you will need to brace it. One other thought and in your messaging you didn't really identify what year model bike you are working on standard or special and do the carbs need to be vented through it and at minimum the crankcase oil vent hose vents through the original airbox.
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

It’s pretty heavy I’m not sure how much, probably a few pounds. My plan is to build a mount for it once I get my frame back from blast and paint and it starts going back together. I can’t remember if it’s an 81 or an 80 but I know the airbox that I had on it had the bowl vent nipples filled in so I believe they are internally vented. Also in my original cardboard model of this I actually included the crank case breather assembly but I think I’m just going to cap off the hose with a filter and call it good. Unless that’s a problem for some reason I just don’t like the idea of a little pipe pointed into my carbs to spit dirty oil and unfiltered air into them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bderum View Post
                          It’s pretty heavy I’m not sure how much, probably a few pounds. My plan is to build a mount for it once I get my frame back from blast and paint and it starts going back together. I can’t remember if it’s an 81 or an 80 but I know the airbox that I had on it had the bowl vent nipples filled in so I believe they are internally vented. Also in my original cardboard model of this I actually included the crank case breather assembly but I think I’m just going to cap off the hose with a filter and call it good. Unless that’s a problem for some reason I just don’t like the idea of a little pipe pointed into my carbs to spit dirty oil and unfiltered air into them.
                          Probably a wise choice on how you handle the crankcase vent hose. In your custom design you now really don't have an "internal" air filter anymore. The original airbox did.
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          Jim

Comment

Yeah, but the OEM air box injected the breather into the carb inlets. Look at the parts diagram online.
                            How much space do you have between the rear cover and the top of the inlet stacks? You probably want at least 3/4", and a little more would smooth the airflow.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                              Yeah, but the OEM air box injected the breather into the carb inlets. Look at the parts diagram online.
                              How much space do you have between the rear cover and the top of the inlet stacks? You probably want at least 3/4", and a little more would smooth the airflow.
                              I’ve got about 1.5” of space from the end of the stacks to the inside of the cap plate. I think for the breather I’m going to make some kind of metal can with steel wool in it to vent the hose through. I can make something that looks nice or is at the very least hidden. I don’t see a reason why the crank case would actually need a vacuum drawn on it but what do I know apparently the original engineers thought so. Do you think that was for emissions purposes alone or to help scavenge pressure from the case for performance reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X