Best service manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best service manual?

What's the best service manual (I've downloaded the pdf... Want a physical book)...

Yamaha... Clymer... Etc? Do I need supplemental also?

Will need for all general maintenance and specifically Good pics of carbs in detail

I always want to have the factory manual if possible, because it is the bible. You do need the supplement to get the specific specs for your model, like carb jet sizes, tire sizes, etc.

However the factory manual is organized like you would take the bike bike completely apart and put it back together. It's not easy to find the directions to do a particular job, like replace the clutch frictions. It sends you back and forth to various chapters during the job.

The Clymer is organized in a way that's better for individual jobs.

The information the Clymer and the factory manual is equivalent.

The Clymer is less expensive, and you can get a new or like-new copy, where the only available factory manuals are old and the pictures are fading.

I don't like the Hayes manuals they seem incomplete, hard to follow, and the paper is cheap.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I believe there’s no such thing as too much information, so I’ll buy most everything I can find when it comes to projects.

Comment

I somehow had the presence of mind to buy a copy of the original Yamaha shop manual when I bought my 1980 G and have never looked back. Being a Canadian version, it's twice as thick because everything is in two languages and, as Mike said, you're jumping around sometimes to figure out simple mods. Another thing, in my case, is the fact that the manual covers '78 - '80 and there are addendums for '79 & '80 at the back. My '80 has some different specs for intake valve clearances, fork oil volume, etc. I made sure to read the year-specific info FIRST so I don't mess things up. My point is that I've read other manuals but I much prefer the factory version. Now a little dog-eared with the most referred-to pages bearing greasy fingerprints, it's served me well all these years.
        1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
        1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
        Owned - 1976 XS750D
        Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
        Owned - (unknown year) XS650
        (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          The Clymer is less expensive, and you can get a new or like-new copy, where the only available factory manuals are old and the pictures are fading.
          Mike, (@Radioguylogs) You can still buy a brand new factory service manual for these bikes. $89 Go to Yamaha Manual Store, select "motorcycle", etc.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Mike, (@Radioguylogs) You can still buy a brand new factory service manual for these bikes. $89 Go to Yamaha Manual Store, select "motorcycle", etc.
            Marty:

Nice to know it's still possible to get a copy with good pictures- especially if one decides to rebuild an engine.

I'm not sure I can rationalize a whole new set of manuals for my bikes @ $89/each.

Thanks for the tip!

-Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Look on fleabay..I found a genuine Yamaha Service manual for my current 1980 XS650...it was around 30 bucks...I too would prefer OEM service manuals..The one I have is used but good condition and the pics are fair..not great.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

LugNut, your signature doesn't say what model you have, but I think I read in another post that you were looking at an 81 MNS. So if that is what you ended up with, then you may want to grab this brand new 40 year old manual off ebay: New Yamaha Service Manual XS1100 H/SH/LH B10542 | eBay.
                Bob's Bikes:
                79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                "
                Project XS11"
                "Rucksack Grunt"
                "Small Unit Leadership"
                "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                For Sale Here.

Comment

Might want to try this one. I bought the other one. Genuine Yamaha Service Manual XS 1100 H/SH/LH by Yamaha Motor Company. | eBay
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X