Stator reassembly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stator reassembly question

One of my winter projects was removing a few of the engine covers to have them media blasted. So naturally I removed the stator cover (not sure that was a great idea). At any rate, upon reassembly I want to make sure all is lined up inside before firing her up. I saw a post about this a while back but I can't seem to find it again. I think it was TC that suggested wrapping the stator to get the right clearance from the "field coil"? Forgive me if I don't have the correct part terminology. I will say once I reassembled everything, I backed out the three bolts that hold the stator and then re-snugged them up. When I did that it felt like it may have seated properly? Could this be correct or should I take other precautions? I just want to be sure before causing any damage. As always thanks in advance.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1979 XS1100 F
    1982 XJ 650
    1983 XS 650

It is the rotor/stator clearance that is kind of tight. You can damage the windings of the stator if not super careful. You can check resistance for the three windings at the connector if in doubt.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have taken out those 3 bolts to remove the covers for polishing on all three of my XS11's.

I put them back together with no special tricks, and they are fine. Nothing rubs. They charge correctly.

I think the bolts do an adequate alignment.

-Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Radioguylogs.
        From what you have said. Can i just remove the outer bolts and the three inner bolts and remove the cover leaving all the guts behind? Then having repainted etc., line the cover back up and screw it all together again? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Yes, I do it exactly as you described, although I support the hanging guts with a coffee can or whatever is handy....to keep the stress off the wires.

It's easy and nothing will go wrong if you don't break the wires.

Lining up the windings for the three smaller bolts is is not hard at all.
          Last edited by Radioguylogs; 03-08-2021, 09:48 AM.
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Magic! Thank you, i have been having sleepless nights recently trying to decide how to sort this problem.

Comment

Yep! I concur. Just got mine out and running today. Everything seems just fine. Thanks for the help guys. Just like Mike said, everything seems to line up just fine as you reassemble,
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1979 XS1100 F
              1982 XJ 650
              1983 XS 650

Comment

Magic! Thank you for the original post BBQRider.

Comment

Working...
                X