1979 xs11 special.... Need input and experienced eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 xs11 special.... Need input and experienced eyes

Found what seems to be a low mileage mint original one owner blah blah blah bike....
    11k miles 1979 special

I don't know these bikes at all and am after an original (as OEM as I can get with reason) 1100 to keep for occasional use and sort of a "fun" investment... Something that will maintain value over 10 years (hopefully increase)...

These pics look fantastic to me... But I don't knownif seats and exhaust are stock. Can you guys tell me any nonstick or unusual things about this 1979 by looking...

He is asking $3495 and I would prob get it for $3k if he came down that much....

​​​​​​​I think it's a lot for an "old Yamaha" but they sure aren't making any more of these 42 year old bikes lol and this does appear to be pristine. Would you guys think $3k-3500 is reasonable/fair/good/bad??

The exhaust is not stock, but those 1-4,2-3 "turnouts" on the bike are sort of a sought after item. That is one nice surviving SF!!!
    80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

That is the Jardine Spaghetti exhaust..Not stock but highly desireable..just about impossible to find..Rest of the bike looks stock except for some extra rear taillights? Hard to see with poor quality phone pics..even expanded view...I do believe its worth $3000...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The seat looks original but not the exhaust, it's a Jardine "spaghetti" type. Looks very nice, probably worth 3K IMHO.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

The '79 is a "one year" bike for the special. I know, I own one! The seat is correct, but has been recovered. The exhaust is aftermarket, and they can be a little loud on long rides. I paid $650 for my bike, running but needing a little work. That was with a full Vetter touring package, stock pipes, and the bike had been worked on by Bob Jones. I would not pay more than $1500-$2000, IF he could prove the odometer was correct! These bikes will not go up like the Honda 750-4, or the Kawasaki Z bikes. They should keep stable with inflation, and go up a little.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The seat looks stock. The exhaust is not. Even if the bike is mint you'll probably need new tires and brake lines. I'm not sure about $3500. You'd have to really want a mint XS over another bike. That being said, you probably won't see another at an intersection.
            2010 Kawasaki Z1000
            1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              The '79 is a "one year" bike for the special. I know, I own one! The seat is correct, but has been recovered. The exhaust is aftermarket, and they can be a little loud on long rides. I paid $650 for my bike, running but needing a little work. That was with a full Vetter touring package, stock pipes, and the bike had been worked on by Bob Jones. I would not pay more than $1500-$2000, IF he could prove the odometer was correct! These bikes will not go up like the Honda 750-4, or the Kawasaki Z bikes. They should keep stable with inflation, and go up a little.
              You think the seat has been recovered? It looks exactly like the NOS seat I found for my '79.
              2010 Kawasaki Z1000
              1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Thanks for all the good input.... It's 10 min from my cousins house so I will check it out in person when I goto visit. I would go through entire bike... Plugs filters fluids brake hoses fuel lines tires etc... And prepared to pull carbs and go through them as well. I'll shoot an offer of $2k after seeing this info and see what he says.

I've had a couple royal stars and have a Gen 1 Vmax so this should be similar to work on I imagine. Seems like anundervalued bike compared to same age/size metrics... But like these d Yamahas...

The seat is stock but the pattern is what is different???
                ​​​​

Comment

Bike is in unusually nice shape.

I pretty sure the seat is stock, including the cover.

Others have identified the Jardine spaghetti exhaust with turnouts. I have this exhaust with straight pipes on one of my XS11's. They are similar to the stock pipes, but sound a little more "buzzy" than the stock pipes; not a detriment at all, I just notice a slight difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	863493

I noticed the front turn signals are not stock, nor is the unusual visor over the headlight.

In Michigan, that bike would probably sell for about $2k-$2500.
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                  '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

It does have the T-Kat fork brace, and that is a good thing! I didn't see the plastic frame cover at the front of the tank, but I may have missed it in the photo. On the West coast, that is about the same as Michigan as far as value. I'm getting old, and remember when....
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

Seat is missing the Yamaha badge on the back, that is how DiverRay determined it was recovered.
                      1979 XS1100 Special
                      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Low mileage, one year seat and grab rail configuration and it’s clean. Asking price could be negotiable, see it in person and make an offer.

Comment

What all is special about the 1979 vs other 78-81 bikes?

Comment

The '80 up has the tail light mounted at the rear of the seat. The seat does not have a "covered" back, and has a mount high in the rear of it. Also, the seat slopes down more from the front, so the side covers are different to clear it. 80 up also has the 85mph speedo, not the 165 on the '79.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by LugNut View Post
                              Found what seems to be a low mileage mint original one owner blah blah blah bike....
                              11k miles 1979 special

I don't know these bikes at all and am after an original (as OEM as I can get with reason) 1100 to keep for occasional use and sort of a "fun" investment... Something that will maintain value over 10 years (hopefully increase)...

These pics look fantastic to me... But I don't knownif seats and exhaust are stock. Can you guys tell me any nonstick or unusual things about this 1979 by looking...

He is asking $3495 and I would prob get it for $3k if he came down that much....

​​​​​​​I think it's a lot for an "old Yamaha" but they sure aren't making any more of these 42 year old bikes lol and this does appear to be pristine. Would you guys think $3k-3500 is reasonable/fair/good/bad??
                              Personally I would never pay that price for one of these bikes. However, I am the guy that wants to find the "Barn find" and do the complete restoration. If you don't mind doing the work you can find bikes that are mechanically sound but cosmetically need a lot of help. With the help of this forum and scrounging parts you can be fairly successful and most bikes can be brought back to look like the one in the pictures you posted. Good luck on whatever you choose and welcome to the forum and the XS insanity.
                              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X