Question on 1980 xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 1980 xs1100

Experienced Yamaha guy but brand new to xs1100's....

Looking at a 1980 14k miles... Looks to be decent/mostly stock... But one question is about cylinder head being black and rest of motor being grey.. Was this a stock arrangement or did someone reace the heads? What would you guys think is a fair (and a good) price? Guy is willing to take $2000.
    I see a Dent in exhaust (which I don't know if it's stock or not) but not much else stands out to me.... Any input would be appreciated

Hi LugNut, Welcome… yeah, the bike does look decent. The original 1980 xs1100 special engines that I have seen did not have any black fins on them. If the VIN on the engine matches the VIN on the frame, I guess it is possible that he replaced just the cylinders, possibly from an 82 xj1100 which I believe had black cylinders, but I think that would be pretty unusual for a bike with only 14k. Maybe he just painted the cylinder black? as it looks like he did with the clutch cover also. No, that is not the original exhaust... In my opinion $2000 is a fair price for an XS11 with only 14k miles on it, IF the bike is in good running condition and needs minimal or no work other than the usual maintenance, which in itself can be a lot if it wasn’t serviced properly over the years.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

The 81 motors had the black painted jugs like that one. Either the bike is an 81 or the engine has been swapped.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I think the black circle on the stator cover is also a 1981 feature?
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Hi LugNut, Welcome. I think your looking at an 81 model. The black cylinder jugs were part of that original color scheme and the badge on the side covers containing the check mark line are for the 81. The VIN will reveal the model year, for 81 specials (SH) will start with 4R0 where the 80 special (SG) will start with 3J6. Nice find.

---Bax
          80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Tha ks for all the input... I'll have to have him send me a Pic of title to verify....

Comment

Working...
            X