Ultimate Fuel Gauge Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Fuel Gauge Repair

So, over the years, I've followed members fuel gauge concerns and various creative home-made voltage regulator replacements. The goal, it seems, is to make sure that the gauge (standards only) gets the required 7 volts fed to it along with a functional level sender in the tank. This little black box on the back of the tach is prone to frying out over time, leaving you with a trip meter re-set after each re-fuel to give you a clue when you need gas again, save you from going on reserve and ultimately taking a potentially long walk. I understand the principals at work but don't possess the required skill set to fab up an aftermarket regulator system, nor do I cherish the thought of my tach bursting into flames in front of me going down the road if I don't do it properly. So, the moral of the story is...... The result of diligent E-Bay research, as pictured below, is a "REGULATOR, FL METER", Yamaha Part #2H7-85755-00-00 (NOS) which doesn't appear on the parts microfiche system the parts dealers display on their websites. This thing has been sitting on various parts department shelves, up until now, for better than 42 years or so! So, for $33.71 + shipping, I now have a functional fuel gauge. I'm hoping that, because the original took about 2 decades to fry out, this one should last forever (or life of the bike and/or me).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0010.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	863317 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0011.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	863318
    1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
    1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
    Owned - 1976 XS750D
    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
    Owned - (unknown year) XS650
    (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Nice to find a new one, though there are a ton of donor TACHS still out there.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Been there, done that. Bought a used one from a wrecker in NY - hooked it up and found it worked as good as the one I was replacing . (He quickly refunded me) Unless it's been tested and proven functional, it's a crap shoot. Used to be a local wrecker here but his entire inventory was sold and shipped to Eastern Canada somewhere. You eat shipping costs when something doesn't work. Thought I'd have a better chance with new.
      Last edited by LenB; 02-18-2021, 04:03 PM.
      1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
      1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
      Owned - 1976 XS750D
      Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
      Owned - (unknown year) XS650
      (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Working...
      X