Are Petcocks interchangable???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Petcocks interchangable???

Would a set of petcocks from an '80 Special work on my 78 Standard? I know there is an extra position, but as far as functionality goes, would they work?
    ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
    '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

No totally different will not fit on tank.

Comment

Hi Street Rat

Yeah they won't fit. But! I can tell you what I did on my 79 Standard. I took a steal plate about a 1/8 inch thick and cut it to fit the standard petcock. Drill out the two mounting holes and then cut out the filter hole.

When you get that all done take the special petcock and place it on your new plate you just made and mark the third hole. It will be close to the filter hole.

When your done you should have three holes and one for the filter. Counter sink the outside hole next to the other hole that would be for the special petcock.

Then all you have to do is go to your part store or if you have one near by is a screw store. I picked up a couple of them with the same thread as the old ones. You only need to get two Counter Sink screws, Two Teflon nuts, and two star lock washers.

You can cut out some gasket material to fit the plate to the tank or you can do like I did and cut a piece of inner tube. With a little gasket sealer it seals tight and no leaks.

If you want I can send you a picture of what mine looks like right now. I need to redo my plates as I was a little off but they work. You can also make a plate out of aluminum.

If you do it right the nuts should fit with the filters and slide into the filter holes on the tank. With the star washer and the side of the filter hole the nuts should not turn as you tighten them up. Its a good snug fit. It also puts them back about a 1/2 inch or so but looks good to me.

If you want a picture let me know. I would post a picture here but don't know how yet. I'll also read some links on how to post pictures to where all can see.

Chris
      Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
      87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
      93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
      71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
      69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Pictures...

ccogswel,

I would very much like some pictures of what you did. You can check out this thread "Posting an image" or you can just email them to me at uzoo1@hotmail.com. Just make sure you use a petcock related subject line so I can pick your email apart from all the spam I get.

Thanks,
        ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
        '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

Hi Street Rat

Thanks for the link. I was able to do a test post of a picture of my bike. I hope this works for real this time. Now these plates are just to see if it can be done. They look sloppy but you should ba able to see what I mean. The holes are not inline as I don't have a drill press to do it right. Would be great to have one. (ebay hear I come). Anyway I hope this helps. This is the way I'm going to go.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Oh by the way as you can see the counter sink screw I used was a allen head screw. Also to let you know it still turns to where you can tighten it up as you put it all together.

Chris
          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Working...
          X