79 special horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 special horn

Usually there is a high and low tone horn. I have the bracket from an 80 std with 2 but the mounting holes are different. I can get creative and make a bracket but would like to see if anyone has input on making more noise than stock.

Is there supposed to be only 1?

Anyone have feedback on upgraded horns?
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Yamaha went to dual horn starting in 1980 on the XS11, so 79 Special will have only have one pair of wires in it's harness and a single horn on a small bracket, not on a bar like the 80-81.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I figured. Just odd that no high/low. I may have to spend some dough and fit one of those Denali sound bombs in the future.

Thanks for the reply Phil.
      1979 XS1100 Special
      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Yep, if you're going to upgrade, may be a good idea to use a relay of some sort.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Just a little more info on what BikerPhil stated. The OEM horn wires are not big enough to carry the amps larger louder horns usually require. SO...that's why he suggested using a tap from the AUX spot on the fuse panel, or some other decent sized 12V line, and use a RELAY that the horn wire/button can trigger, so that the horns can draw as much power as they need directly from the battery, and the OEM horn wires are just to throw the relay. I installed a pair of FIAMM "El Grande" model horns on mine, they draw 9 amps, are rated at 128db @ 1 meter, but they ARE RED!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X