clutch boss retainer ring- how important is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch boss retainer ring- how important is this

reassembled the clutch and noticed in the manual a retainer ring for the clutch boss. When I disassembled the clutch the retainer ring was not there, so I compared it with my 2nd engine and it has the retainer. At first glance it appears that the ring simply keeps the clutch boss in the basket when taking it apart and not much else. Can anyone educate me on the importance of this part?
    Steve K
    1980 xs11 special
    1979 xs400
    1989 Sportster
    2016 KLR
    2016 Africa Twin
    1965 Chevelle
    1970 Wife

C'mon Guys!!! no one wants to touch this thread? Surely someone has run into this question before. In searching other forums, I have read of these wires breaking and becoming dislodged ending up in the motor. My retainer was missing off the clutch and I found wire bits (i thought it was welding wire) inside the lower case.
    Steve K
    1980 xs11 special
    1979 xs400
    1989 Sportster
    2016 KLR
    2016 Africa Twin
    1965 Chevelle
    1970 Wife

Comment

I would like to help, but I've not had that problem so far. Transmission lock-up at 85mph, yes. Clutch basket problems, no. I would think if you didn't spend your time dropping the clutch at 5K rpm's, there would not be too much of a problem.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I myself have never heard of these wires breaking, never even thought of modifying the clutch basket other than adding an extra steel plate. Maybe posting a photo of the boss retaining ring would generate some more interest and opinions.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you have the proper setup on the parts engine, why not take the short amount of time and put it together the way it was supposed to be? There have been plenty of times that "we do it right because we do it twice" played out for me.
          1979 XS1100 Special
          1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
          1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
          1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Try having a look here at the Aussie site youtube

clutch rebuild, the Steptoe way - YouTube

Comment

After looking at the actual clutch basket up close, it appears that that .020" wire is to hold the out board steel from rattling around against the aluminum, possibly causing premature wear.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment