Cam adjuster housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam adjuster housing

I wanting to find out if I would run into any surprises changing the adjuster housing, as the one on the engine I just installed last Wed. I noticed has a very slight seep and is wet with a drop of oil. It just today dripped a drop on the floor. The one on the old engine doesn't leak, and was gonna swap them out. I know I'm gonna have to eventually get a manual when it comes to things that have certain specs.....so far so good seat of the pants, age and experience.......and of course, all the good, and so far correct answers here!.......Thanks guys!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

The adjuster housing has a "blind plug", a rubber covered plug, to seal it. They do start to leak after a while. You can remove the plug, and install a new one with a little #4 Yamabond on it. That should keep it from leaking for quite a while. If you are changing the complete housing, use a little #4 on the gaskit as well.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Cam adjuster

Yeppers........got it........just wanted to make sure something wasn't going to fallout I don't know about. So just swap out housings......I presume there's a spring also?
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yes, there is. But be SURE you have the crankshaft in the TC position BEFORE removing the housing. You really need to spend the $20 for a manual, or just do a search on the Tech tips.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

cam adjuster housing

Thanks for the help there Ray............and am Gonna get a manual, as it's not gonna run trouble free as it did when I bought it 24 yrs. ago. Just like us.....not as good as we once was.....but I bet it can be made as good once as it ever was!

Comment

Make sure the rod isn't gaulded on the inside and moves free. Might not be a bad idea to put a helicoil in the housing for the locknut. Sometimes they are kinda stripped out and won't hold good.
            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Spend the bucks on the manual. I had a problem with an oil leak that I thought was from the cam tensioner, tried several times to fix, finally discovered crack in barrel about 1/4 inch from top of tensioner block, Devcon fixed it. Also had to drill out and re-tap tensioner to larger bolt.

Comment

Working...
              X