lowering the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowering the bike

just saw this posted on eBay, Item# 4584561904.

Is there a formula for how much to compensate the front if I lower the rear?

I'll poke around the archives, I'm sure this has come up before.

thanks,
    -pdk
    Your Mileage May Vary

BTW, Steve in PA (http://www.biker.net/lloyd/) is selling what looks like the same shock for $75 as well. Steve is a good guy and will go out of the way to make sure you get what you want. I just ordered a full gasket and o-ring set from him and almost ordered these same shocks. I am going to try altering my existing shocks by cutting out a loop before I pay for new ones. I figure if I screw mine up I will order from him.

In response to pdk, you will have to drop the front roughly the same amount to keep it level... but there is no reason it has to be level. Drop the back and then adjust the front to feel. Search the site, there are a LOT of posts about lowering.
    1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Pat

You will need to raise the fork tubes up in the triple clamps in order to lower the front, but the air valves will hit the bars after only 1/4 inch. You will need to raise the bars, or set them back some in order to do raise the tubes. I went through this when I was lowering the Foster Child. There is a company called GenMar that sells the risers that I have. I actually have them on both XS's. Here is their website:
      http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/X102.html

Comment

I installed 11 inch schocks from Steve Lloyd on an 850. They work good and I can sit on the bike floatfoot, but the center stand does not work because the frame is too low and it will not rotate to lift up yhe bike. The side stand is now too long and the bike sits on the stand almost veritical. No big issues, just things to be aware of.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by 2bhappy
          I installed 11 inch schocks from Steve Lloyd on an 850. They work good and I can sit on the bike floatfoot, but the center stand does not work because the frame is too low and it will not rotate to lift up yhe bike. The side stand is now too long and the bike sits on the stand almost veritical. No big issues, just things to be aware of.

Marc
          No big issues? How do you park?
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I am constantly on the lookout for a space that is higher on the right and lower on the left or a real level spot. When the spot is level, the bike precariously sits preaty good, but I am always afraid it may tip to the right. I will be instally a side stand from a 79 750 that is about one inch shorter and that will solve part of the problem I guess I will have to cut the center stand so that I can use it.

Marc

Comment

Stand issues

I should have said in my first post how I had to shorten the side and center stand. I shortened each by 1 to 1 1/2 inch, but the side stand could use a little more shortening. I think I'll heat and bend it at the frame pivot instead of shortening as the attaching point for the spring is right above the pad now. I also bought my shocks from Steve Lloyd, but I don't care for them too much. They tend to bottom out too frequently under my weight (210 lbs).

Comment

Thanks for the insight you guys! Can't wait to get back to my garage.
                Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Working...
                X