Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition coils

Hi everyone,
    hoping you can help with my choice of ignition coils on my xs1100g.The Dealer here in NZ has coils listed for these bikes but they are 5.28 Ohms primary and 18.7k Ohms secondary.My question is will the 5.28 be safe to use as I see 3 Ohm coils seem to be the ones to use. My bike is fitted with the ballast resister.Thanks for your help

The 1100G with the ballast resistor uses 1.5Ω coils which are no longer available new from Yamaha but if you remove the ballast resistor you can use 3Ω coils and they are still available from Yamaha. IGNITION COIL ASSY for XS1100L MIDNIGHT SPECIAL 1981 (B) USA - order at CMSNL and they fit to 39 models of bike.

Comment

If you are located in the states the better alternative for you would be to get DYNA's DC 1-1 model...the green 3.0 ohm type. You will still need to get rid of the ballast resistor if you go with these coils. The reason I say the states is because if you are not in the states tariffs and import taxes etc... may not save you much versus those stated by FJ111200.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

As a note, to remove the resistor, just unplug the two red/white wires and unscrew the unit. You can then just plug the two red/white wires into each other, TAPE OR SHRINKWRAP, and you are ready to go. You MUST make sure there can be no shorting of the red/white wires to any ground as that will kill the engine.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I just noticed that you posted NZ. Duh. I don't know what the shipping would be from the US to NZ but I still think the Dyna's would be your best bet.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Thanks everyone.Yes freight costs from the US are now astronomical to NZ.I'll figure something out though.

Comment

Do some research on which Venter coils work. They are easier to install than the Dynas and work very well. Just make sure you get all of the parts as the plug wire caps has a screw on cover.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
              03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
              X