No announcement yet.

Crazy charging voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found that the plug at the regulator/rectifier is a problem point for the charging system. I burnt up a 2 or 3 connectors there before I replaced the deteriorated wires a few inches before the plug. Overheating because of poor conduction. Some new wire fixed it.
    Haven't had an issue since
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah, Greg, the ignition switch connector in the headlight shell likes to burn up too.

As it burns, the voltage difference between the true battery voltage and what the regulator sees gets further apart while the charging system faithfully raises the voltage and overcharges the battery.

The heat makes the connectors lose their temper and they don't grip correctly so cleaning them doesn't really help and the connection gets worse until it fails.

I got tired of changing connectors, terminals and buying batteries and used some screws/nuts for the battery and switched power (Red and Brown) wires in the headlight shell along with a screw terminal strip for the alternator and regulator/rectifier connections under the right-hand side cover..

It makes it more difficult to unplug the ignition switch from the main harness or disconnect the alternator and regulator/rectifier but now that they don't get baked I haven't had to mess with it.

Wandered waaaay far away from Sid's new Dyna coils and wiring kit that he's put in cold storage for the duration. Oops. (Scooby-laugh)
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Will Tin/Aluminum Foil block the errant radio waves around the DVM from the coils/spark plugs?? Might try wrapping the DVM in it before all of the trouble of swapping out coils, or wires/plugs?
        I also have Dynas, but I also have an old analog VM and think I remember using it for testing running voltage. I also have a couple of DVM's, can't recall if I ever used them to check running voltage, but I think I had when did my racing alternator mod and needed to check the voltage when running, and don't recall jumping voltage readings.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C., it depends what's really going on.

If it's RF then a shield might work but with the meter leads it's like making a Faraday cage with a couple of antennas sticking out of it.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
          X