Cafe Super bars anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cafe Super bars anyone?

Anyone used super bike style bars that mount directly on the forks? I'm wanting to lower my bike and these are an alternative to putting spacers in. I'm curious to see what they would look like on an XS.

Link to Old Bike Barn Part

Pic attempt:

Thoughts?
    1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

I had some on my Honda Hawk. I liked them but I was in my 20's. Arthritis in my neck would make the riding position painful for me anymore.
    You'll need a different way to mount the headlight.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Denny Zander runs with clip-ons and a few other very nice modifications...
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Which such sort bars, how would one go about shortening the cables?
        1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

I think I'll tie 'em in a bow... maybe braid them together.

I'll probably loop them out a bit... bring the right into a loop to the left and back and vice versa on the right.

If that does not work: The brake is easy, the line is easily swapped with a shorter one. The electrical wires are no problem to bend, wrap, and tie. So that leaves the clutch and throttle cable. I'll have to research those two. Anyone shortened them?

Thanks for the post of Danny's bike, Ken. Do you happen to have one of the bike from behind or above? I think I like the look.

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

I'm sure I've got more photos at home of Denny's bikes. SWMBO and I have met him at a few rallies over the years...
            Ken Talbot

Comment

I drool everytime I see that bike. I'm aiming to make my 79 project bike as much like it as I can.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Here's another view. Note the bar-end mirrors:
                Ken Talbot

Comment

...MAN..what a great looking bike! i love the look, not too stock-not too custom
                  .. something is up with those clip-ons though, they look a little high to be just clipped to the fork tubes
                  .. i love the clip-ons look and would probably like the way it rides/handles but i'm gettin old, i don't think i could ride it all day like that any more

Comment

It has the longer special tubes in an otherwise standard front end. The tubes stick up a about 2" above the top clamp for the clip-ons.

I'm going with a stock front end and 2" rise low bars. I'm to old and arthritic for clip-ons even if they're above the top clamp.

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

A pair of clubman bars would be an easier and cheaper solution IMO. Look good too!
                      -------------------------------------
                      http://octaneonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by octane
                        A pair of clubman bars would be an easier and cheaper solution IMO. Look good too!
                        I've got a set from Mikes XS on my 400 and I like 'em a lot. To deal with the cable length thing route the cables and hoses on the opposite side of the headlight and cross 'em back over to the levers. Works fine if you don't mind seeing 'em looping in front of your instruments (I don't). You will have to keep an eye on your speedo till you get used to them or you'll get speeding tickets, you won't have that tug on your arms to tell you how fast you're going and the lean forward riding position just invites you to gas it!
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I would like the clubman bars, but they do not allow me to slide the forks up an inch or two to lower the front the way I would like to. The desire to lower the front and get a more sporty feel is what lead me to look at the clips.

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

So you would mount the clip ons above the clamp? That'd work pretty well. I've ridden a few bikes with clip ons below the clamp and my neck was in pain within 15-20 minutes on the bike. My friend's Ducati 916 quickly became excruciating though it was a great ride in every other way.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Yeah I don't anticipate this being a touring bike when I get done. *Grin*

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X